SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
j_mathew34

Struggling with Paint Decisions

J Matthew
12 days ago

Hi, thank you for reading my post!

I’m hoping for some help with paint color choices. I’m really struggling to find what will look nice for this late 1970's house. I would like to make the exterior of the house more modern. I also want to make sure it's a color that would have a wider appeal...in case we ever sell the house. I know I need to complement the tan brick, but it's hard (Note: I don’t want to paint the brick). I am open to staining the cedar, but it would need to be the same color or darker (we cannot afford to change the cedar right now).

I’ve attached some pics of the color choices we’ve went through so far and noted them on the picture itself...that said, none of them have really excited us. I’m interested in anyone's thoughts on the selected colors (if you like it and especially also if you hate it) or if you have other Sherwin Williams color suggestions I should try. I included the color of the house today (i typed original above the picture...i do not know the original color).

If it helps, I’ve tried to match the colors of things that aren’t changing in my house to Sherwin Williams colors. They are:

Front Door: Stillwater

Brick: Smoky beige, portabello, rookwood brown (each brick has a slightly different shade in the tan brick family...some are lighter/darker...so each of these colors are represented)

Current paint colors: Homburg gray or perle noir

Stained cedar: Java or rugged brown

Roof: I couldn't easily color match this, but it's kind of a light to medium brown

Thank you again!

Original:

If you need to see the backside of the house, here it is (all the trim, siding, soffit and fascia will be repainted in the back as well):

Comments (18)