SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Flora Floof! Garden Goodies!

amylou321
13 days ago

I know it is early in the year, but I would love to hear about the bounty from your gardens! So far all have gotten, food wise is some red lettuce, A LOT of it, 4 heads of broccoli which I roasted with garlic and parmesan cheese today, and various herbs. I had a couple strawberries starting to ripen but they disappeared. Same with blueberries. I was particularly excited about the PINK lemonade blueberry bush I planted, but those berries disappear as well. Guess I will have to net them. My broccoli is growing funny. It looks more like broccolini and I was wondering if I had gotten the wrong plants, but some of the broccoli heads forming look normal, so I do not know. Whatever it is, it was DELICIOUS. I planted 30 plants of it, so hopefully much more to come. People ask me ALL THE TIME for some fresh broccoli from my garden, so I like to make sure I have enough. My cabbages look like they will be ready in a couple more weeks, and I have tomatoes forming on all 7 of my plants. I saw some teeny bell peppers this morning and am excited about those. Its my first year attempting onions and they appear to be thriving. The iceberg lettuce that I planted mysteriously just rotted before it was ready to harvest. I wonder if it was some kind of pest that caused that. I have fruit trees that really never do much. I have a plum tree that drives me nuts. It will have TONS of tiny plums on it, then they all just FALL OFF, still tiny and unripe. Do not know what that is about but whatever. I have 2 pluot trees that leaf out but never fruit. They are compatible, pollination wise, but I guess are just unwilling. One of my truck drivers brought me a satsuma tree to replace the one that I attempted to grow last year. (its dead) I will plant this one in a different spot and see if it does better. I also planted a dwarf mulberry bush this year and it is very small and therefore I do not expect fruit for a couple more years, but the plant itself seems happy.

Flower wise, I had to replace a hardy hibiscus at my job that had been going strong for several years, but then just....poof, vanished! ( I suspect that the colony of feral cats that I feed around my office perhaps had a paw in that) And I have 2 rose bushes at home that have died, but everything else looks great! My roses and lilies both at home and at work are SHOWING OUT, and all the hardy hibiscus plants have emerged. I love those and wish their blooms lasted longer. The only complaint I have is with 2 of my roses at work. A Neil Diamond and a Blue girl. Both well established and healthy. Well, this year, all of a sudden they are no longer a Neil Diamond and a blue girl. The Neil Diamond now appears to be some sort of dark purple knock out type rose. And the strange thing is, my Blue girl has this same rose growing from it along WITH the normal beautiful lavender blooms. A strange sort of plant rebellion I am not familiar with. Rootstock or something I gather. They are not close to each other in the garden , so I find it odd that it happened to both of them. I am not a big fan of knockout roses, I prefer Hybrid Teas. But the plants do look healthy so I will not just dig them up. I am sad at the.....conversion of my Neil Diamond. That was my favorite non-pink rose. So Weird. I have OFFICIALLY abandoned all attempts to grow hydrangeas and azaleas. I have accepted my fate as the only woman in the south that cannot seem to grow those. I would turn in my pearls but they were revoked YEARS ago for some other transgression......

I will admit that I am not a huge fan of this time of year, as it only leads to the worst (IMO) time if year, summertime with all its suffocating heat and humidity. But I look at my gardens and see (and taste!) the bright side. What have you got growing?

Comments (20)

• Kathsgrdn
    13 days ago

Asperagus, came home from a short trip to find huge stalks of it. Was able to eat some of it. Now getting one or two a day. I just eat them raw. I have two varieties of strawberry plants, one I grew from seed a few years ago and another I bought as plants last year. The new plants are massive this year and so are the strawberries. I've been picking them early because of the birds and other critters in the yard but let one get riper and was going to pick it today, only to find it and another eaten by something. So, went out in the wet yard (been raining all week) to bird net most of them.

I did use insect netting on my cabbage plants this year and it seems to be working, although, somehow, insects still managed to get under the netting. The cabbages are really getting big and yesterday I made a stir fry with two of the massive leaves from one plant.

Right before a short trip a couple weeks ago, I planted some tomatoes, eggplant, chives, onions, flowers, sweet potato slips and those cabbages out, hoping there wouldn't be a frost and so far they all seem to be doing fine. I still have a bunch of stuff to plant, although, I have too many plants that I started. I gave some to the woman who watched Chewie while I was gone but now have to find room for the rest. Gave some to a friend. I don't know any other gardeners.

The peas I planted a while ago are only now starting to grow. My garlic is looking great. I have volunteer zucchini possibly coming up in one of my beds, volunteer cosmos in the side yard, which I spread the seeds there last year on purpose, hoping they would come back. Potatoes are also doing good.

Have a few things still to plant from seed, like corn, watermelon, beans, squash and okra. Hoping for a break in the rain tomorrow to get some of it out there. My raspberry bushes are huge this year and loaded with raspberries already. My little peach tree out front is also loaded with peaches. Crossing my fingers about those, was not expecting any for a couple years at least. The persimmon trees are finally leafing out.

Didn't have good luck with pepper starting this year. I started Padron and an orange bell pepper, no germination from 1 year old seeds. So, I had bought a red bell pepper to eat and just used those seeds. I now have too many little bell pepper plants. Will probably compost all but two as I don't have a huge garden.

amylou321 thanked Kathsgrdn
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    13 days ago

I don't plant much in the way of vegetables - I only have arugula which I am enjoying, and a couple of pepper plants that I overwintered indoors so I am already harvesting a very few, and rhubarb. No sign of my asparagus yet!

I got all of my potted citrus outside on Saturday. They had a rough winter indoors this winter - aphids that kept reappearing, then fungus gnats, and a neglectful owner who went too long between watering as the sun grew stronger through the window. So, lots of leaves dropped, but they kept blooming, go figure! I picked 3 key limes today.

My blueberry bushes are loaded with blossoms & baby berries. I am making a new netting cage for them & I need to get that done soon! I finished putting newspaper and cardboard mulch around and under the pots this AM before the rain set in.

I need to get my netting up over my cherry bushes too. I use an old patio unbrella frame to hold the netting up. I have found that if the netting isn't held away from the plants, the critters can get to the berries & cherries (and peaches and apples) without much difficulty.

One fruiting vine that I am going to get rid of is the pair of hardy kiwi - a male and a female, supposedly. EIght or more (I've lost track) years in ground, grows rampantly (and they get BIG) but never once a sign of a blossom or fruit.

I have lost 4 roses this spring - one was no surprise b/c it was just one of those grocery store minis, but the other 3 were well established, and since we did have a mild winter, I am very surprised that they died. I'm not seeing any growth from one of my chrysanthemums as well - an established, comes back every year plant - that didn't this spring. Do they have a limited life span? I don't know..

Primroses, iris, lilacs, woodland phlox, the tall purple allium, virginia bluebells, clematis, dames rocket, weigela, quince, viburnums, all in full bloom and just a few rose blossoms starting.

amylou321 thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Related Discussions

For all you 'Secret Garden' fans....

Q

Comments (12)
    Annotated means a book or other piece of writing that has explanations and background info about various words, phrases and references in between each line, or many lines, of the text. I have an annotated Mother Goose that is absolutely fascinating and will look for this edition of The Secret Garden--thanks for telling us about it.
    ...See More

What's your latest garden project? July

Q

Comments (15)
    The very best thing about this list is the inspiration and encouragement that it gifts me with. I, too, garden in the evenings and not too early...Lol. If I go out late enough, the dark happens and I don't kill myself out there. Finally learning about little bites of work and gradual progress being made. FlowerLady; Our plot has Progress Energy high tension wire easement. We are on Knights Griffin Rd. PE is putting in another wire to feed the energy hungry in North Pinellas and West Pasco. If they do this on our side of the existing towers, they will take an additional easement of 150 feet. That will put the line right at the back of our house and take the foot-print of our outbuildings, including my workshop. There has been so much confusion and rumor with our neighbors (and lawyer mailings!) that we are taking a peaceful wait and see attitude and affirming that all will unfold in Divine Order. Chris; I am also interested in your bamboo construction. Please let us know how things go. Thanks, Everyone for the inspiration and letting me know I am not alone in the weeding department. Lol... (Got to get a scuffle hoe... TODAY!)
    ...See More

Floof! Seasonal Treats

Q

Comments (61)
    Seasonal local farm stand fruits and vegetables like strawberries, tomatoes, corn on the cob, peaches, cherries (can't get enough of them), plums, crabapples, apples, squash. Trifle and fruitcake, chicken bone candy, mixed nuts, McLarens Cold Pack Cheese, gherkins and egg nog during Christmas holidays Cream eggs and decorated sugar cookies at Easter In the summer, root beer or Vernor floats, iced tea I know I am forgetting some favourites that I only buy certain times of the year
    ...See More

Mama Floof!

Q

Comments (30)
    Mom and I shared some things. We both liked travelling and eating. She liked to cook, and while I didn't do much cooking when I lived at home (Mom and Dad both cooked, and there is only so much room in a kitchen...) I enjoyed using her best recipes when I moved out on my own. We were both introverts, but Mom less so than myself. We both shared horrid menuestral cycles. We both liked gardening, and foraging for raspberries in the wild. She enjoyed woodland hiking, and was happy when I bought the land I eventually built on and moved into (although she passed long before I was able to do anything like build here). Mom passed on the Ides of March, 2001, of cancer at age 75. Other things we weren't the same on. Our musical tastes only had a slight band of overlap. She preferred classical music piano pieces without singing, and I was able to introduce her to Scott Joplin, which she did end up liking. Not much success there, otherwise. We had differing viewpoints on certain issues of the day, but some of that is likely generational and habitual. (We never yelled about them.) She was something of a neat freak, and I remain something quite less than that. She wouldn't want to drop in and see my house today, but she would appreciate the art I have on my walls - a few pieces which had once belonged to her and Dad. She was a good and considerate woman, and I miss her.
    ...See More
  • schoolhouse_gwagain
    12 days ago

"I need to get my netting up over my cherry bushes too"

raee, I'm curious about your cherry bush. Among the many Brecks flyers and catalogs I receive there was one advertising a "cherry bush". I put it aside thinking I might try it, but then decided not to. Now I might dig it out of the paper bin again.

How old is yours and was it difficult to grow? Breck's says it takes five years to bear fruit. Sounds like yours isn't huge, which I would like. Where do you have it planted, i.e. moist ground or can it tolerate some dry periods?

I'm also in Ohio - Wayne County.

amylou321 thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • Lars
    11 days ago

Since I am moving, I am in the process of planning a new garden, and I just came up with some ideas today.

We are going to be in Cathedral City (Palm Springs adjacent), and so the climate here is very different from coastal Los Angeles, where the mean temperature varied less than 10° between summer and winter, and so many things grew all year and only required changes in watering.

In the desert, our winters will be similar to L.A., but the summers will be brutally hot, and so many plants will not survive. However, some plants like the heat, such as the chocolate Habanero chili plants that I used to grow. In L.A., I had to start the seeds in a heated terrarium, but I figured out that I can start seeds outdoors here and can get rid of the terrarium, which I do not have room for here anyway. We have a patch of sandy ground with one palm tree and nothing else that is about 12 or 16 feet square (I think).

Since it is getting close to summer, I am not sure what I can put outside here that would do well, but I think I will try basil first, although I might have to water it twice a day. Until now, I was not here long enough to take care of outdoor plants, but once I am here full time, I will be able to water twice a day, if necessary. It won't take that much water for what I have in mind - much less than what the neighbors use for their front lawn - something I do not have here.

I will have to learn which edible plants are heat tolerant - something I tried to learn when I was in Texas but was not that successful at. I also do not want to try to grow anything that will require huge amounts of water. We can grow dates here, but I will continue to go to date farms to buy those - I won't try that myself.

I think most of my plant growing is going to have to happen in the winter. So far, we have not had a frost since I have been here (2019 - 2024), but a light frost is a possibility, and I will have to take that into consideration when I plant herbs here. I will be planting them in pots, and so I could always move them if there is a chance of frost, or cover them. It pretty much never got below 40° at my house in L.A., and so this was never an issue for me there.

I'm going to try my favorite herbs to start with - parsley, cilantro, chives, dill, and basil and see how those will do this summer, but I do expect them to bolt (except for the basil), but maybe I can get some use out of them before that happens. I think all of those will grow really well for me in the winter, and if I lose some to a rare frost, I can replant them.

amylou321 thanked Lars
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    11 days ago

Our gardens are mostly about perennials, flowering trees/shrubs and pots of annuals. We do grow herbs - rosemary, thyme, sage and chives are fairly reliable perennial herbs for us but we sometimes lose the rosemary and thyme if winter temps get brutally cold. The only vegetable we grow now are tomatoes. We can't plant them safely until the end of May so our tomato harvest is a long way off. We hold off on planting annual flowers and tender herbs until the end of May, as well. Our last frost date can be that late.

amylou321 thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • blfenton
    11 days ago

My mouth was envious of amylou's post describing her bounty of vegetables. Like seagrass, unless you have a greenhouse planting doesn't start for another couple of weeks. It is going to be unusually hot this weekend so the garden centers will be hopping and people will be pushing their luck with planting. We can still get cooler temperatures and a rain storm through though.

amylou321 thanked blfenton
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Schoolhouse, I actually got my 3 bush cherries from the Spring Hill/Breck's etc garden center in Tipp City, years ago, during one of their overstock clearance sales. It is closed now sadly.

So, I have a Carmine Jewel, and either a Romeo or a Juliet (can't remember which was which, and one was eaten to death by deer 2 winters ago.)

Not at all difficult to grow - I started them out in pots because I wasn't sure where to place them permanently. They are hardy, haven't needed any protection except when we've had those late hard freezes when they are in bloom. My yard is very clay-ey, with a high water table - water would stand after a good rain, but I have deeply double dug my planting areas, adding organic material, so the spot that they are in doesn't have that problem now. On the other hand, the past couple of years we have had some extended periods of no significant rain rain (3-4 weeks) and I have watered them along with my other potted trees. They are in half-3/4 day sun - my neighbor's huge maple shades the yard until mid morning,

I don't remember how long until they bore fruit - IIRC it was only 2-3 years before a light crop. They produce well now. IMO they are not in any way sweet (despite the claims), but they are a nicely flavored tart cherry that I like to eat fresh. They are not large cherries, typical of a tart variety.

The Carmine Jewel is about 6 or 7 foot tall and I will probably cut it back a bit. The other one stays at about 3-4 foot - so was the other one before it died.

I have a couple of saplings that have sprung up around them - either from seeds that sprouted or root offshoots. If you'd like I could send you one.

amylou321 thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Judi
    11 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Lars, I have my Thai basil in pots. It gets morning sun, but is in shade by 1 in the afternoon. Seems to like that here in south Louisiana.

I no longer grow a lot of veggies in the garden. Tomatoes and hot peppers is about the extent of it. I am trying a few long beans this year; seeds were a gift from my physical therapist. Also have garlic chives, thyme, rosemary, Spanish tarragon, and a little dill is still hanging in there.

I have quite a few flowers in the kitchen garden -- zinnias, salvias, gomphrena, pentas, and Country Girl chrysanthemums for fall blooms. Kept one of the potted passion vines in the garden. It seems to be doing very well with only morning sun. I'm letting it crawl along the fence.

amylou321 thanked Judi
  • nicole___
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Amy...Outstanding garden YOU have planned.

I've got mostly ornamentals. Cat mint, garlic chives, fruit trees. (Pear, cherry, Honey Crisp Apple, Crabapple, Walking onion). My lily bulbs are just now emerging.

It's supposed to rain an inch tomorrow, then snow an inch tomorrow night. I might have to throw a tarp over the lilies.

amylou321 thanked nicole___
  • Fun2BHere
    11 days ago

I’m so envious of your gardens. I have no room to grow anything other than a few roses. I really miss my citrus trees and my herb garden. Maybe someday, I’ll have the huge built-in grill that I will never use removed and replaced with a raised bed that I could use for an herb garden.

amylou321 thanked Fun2BHere
  • lily316
    10 days ago

I have planted many pots and urns with annuals and the veggie garden has six tomato plants and four zucchini plants. Our community garden shut down because the company (Ames) is for sale so 12 years of having a large garden plot there is gone. There were 155 plots with a watering system and shed with tools for use. Sad.

amylou321 thanked lily316
  • schoolhouse_gwagain
    10 days ago

Thanks for the info raee. Just what I wanted to know. As far as the offer of the saplings/seedlings, I have to think of where I'd put them first. Wonder if they would be true to the mother plant(s)? Probably.

amylou321 thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • Fun2BHere
    10 days ago

Oh, @lily316, that’s so sad. I think we have a community garden attached to the local senior center, but I haven’t had a chance to explore that yet.

amylou321 thanked Fun2BHere
  • chisue
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Can a veggie gardener tell me something about peas? Until I saw vgkg's photos, I couldn't imagine what a pea plant (bush?) looks like. How many plants does it take to result in the 12 ounces of petite peas I find in a bag in my grocer's freezer? Do the plants yield only a single crop? How long does it take for the plants to produce?

When DS was a toddler, we planted a few peas. I think we got three pods.

amylou321 thanked chisue
  • Kathsgrdn
    10 days ago

Chisue, it takes a lot of pea plants to get a bag of peas. I usually only grow snow peas because I prefer them and you can eat the entire pod. You can also eat the pea leaves and tendrils, which I've had in stir fries and salads. The more you pick the peas, the more they will produce blooms and keep producting. When you wait for a normal pea pod to mature, less likely it's going to make more blooms. My snow peas produce over a longer period of time since I'm constantly picking the tender young pods.

I think the days to maturity is about 60 days for a normal pea plant.

amylou321 thanked Kathsgrdn
  • vgkg Z-7 Va
    10 days ago

Chisue, in the pea trellis pic I posted above (will load again below) it's a 25 ft long trellis with peas planted on both sides. The pea variety is "Frosty" and I planted them in early March here in central Va and I'll start picking them this weekend (approx 60 days as Kathsgrdn says). The plants will produce pea pods for about a 3-4 weeks before they top out (they don't like the summer heat). That 50 ft row (includes both sides) will produce enough peas for the 2 of us with about 20 meals. I'd venture to guess that 1 row of peas just 4 ft long would give you more than 12 oz easily over 3-4 weeks.

After the peas are done I'll compost the vines and re-plant the trellis with late Corn on both sides. Once the corn is done I'll compost the corn stalks and re-plant the trellis with Autumn Turnips on both sides. During the winter I'll add compost to that row and use the appropriate amount of fertilizer during each veggie transition. Been doing this succession planting method for about 10 years without any problems.

amylou321 thanked vgkg Z-7 Va
  • chisue
    9 days ago

vgkg -- Thank you! It seems to me that paying $1.50 for 12 ounces of petite peas is quite a bargain! I wonder if this is stoop labor or if there's a machine to harvest peas...then they have to be 'hulled', washed, 'eyed', packaged, and shipped frozen. Nothing beats *fresh*, but we do have a great choice of good food in America. It's also been relatively cheap for decades, compared to other first world nations.

amylou321 thanked chisue
  • ladypat1
    9 days ago

Here in Kansas City, it is just now time to put out things that would get hurt in a frost. I have bought my Sweet million tomato plant. I have planted this for several years. And it does produce millions! not bothered by drought, fungus or bugs. I have a bowl of them on my counter all summer, and keeps me from munching on other things. my grandson learned last summer he could eat them any time he wanted.

I am ready to put out some bush green beans. Need to make a little 2 foot trellis to keep them upright. Going to plant these with my 2.5 year old grandson, just for his experience. I wonder if he would eat snap peas better.

2 cherry trees are doing well, despite some golf ball sized hail here. Cherries are about pea sized and don't look damaged. Something so calming and satisfying about having a few little things to plant and eat. Not my photo, but shows how the sweet millions grow in clusters, almost like grapes. Very easy to pick.

amylou321 thanked ladypat1
  • marilyn_c
    8 days ago

Not long after my husband died, a little volunteer peach tree came up near a spot where he used to sit. At first I wasn't sure what it was, but it looked like peach tree leaves, and it didn't look like any of the other weeds, so I didn't cut it down. Now, three years later, it has bloomed and is bearing peaches. I figured it out a couple of years ago that it was indeed a peach tree, but I didn't know if it would need a pollinator variety, to bear. Evidently not. I call it Jody's peach tree because I am sure he ate a peach and threw the seed down.

amylou321 thanked marilyn_c