SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
worthyfromgardenweb

It's May 2024. How is your build going?

worthy
15 days ago

No May Day celebrations here. Just one foot in front of the other.

Comments (50)

• Keen B
    15 days ago

Thanks, Worthy!

worthy thanked Keen B
  • Renee M
    15 days ago

I'm ready for some May flowers 💐, enough with the rain. Thanks Worthy.

worthy thanked Renee M
  • Related Discussions

It's May 2014, how is your build?

Q

Comments (151)
    Schicksal-oh boy. Now that is a horse of a different color. :(. Hopefully the new company will want to honor your business no matter how small. That is so very close. That would be a tough task as well. Cason oh carsonheim where are you? Do you want a jumping buddy? I just noticed today that one of my uppers, just one (of 5) has a center stile so the doors don't align like the rest. Speechless. Frustrated. Wanna give up! Crown already installed. What the HECK!!! It's a 32" cabinet. What in the world. It loses much of its flexibility for me. Dh thinks - well get doors that butt up and no big deal. I don't know what to do!!!! Grumpy the rest of the day. I know I know it's not a big deal in the scheme of life but I want to MOVE ON!!! Planned on bakeware there. Bowls will fit but not casserole dishes, etc. In my defense on not noticing right away, it's the only upper on that wall, the rest are around a corner so they aren't sitting side by side. I will take a pic when I go back out. I am mostly bummed about the loss of flexibility. Argh! Another miss. Tried to stain the benches in the mudroom and they did NOT take stain evenly. Fussed with it again today and I surrender. Going to paint them a contrasting color to complement the crown which stained up beautifully. :(. Touched up ceiling. Half bath fixtures set and I love the faucet. So classic and kinda feminine I think. :) No water to them yet though. I will be back with pics. edit: typos - blasted i-phone. I'll just put my pics in here since I am already in the message: My fav faucet (in the half bath): Range hood (with stile cabinet in the frame): The issue of the day.......looking straight on no difference since the only other upper on that wall is not yet in as it sits on the counter top: Round the corner and they all look like: And of course I had to bring out a tupperware bowl and throw it in there for perspective: Thoughts? Am I just entering into another over analysis project fatigue tail spin? Happy Mother's Day tomorrow to all you Mother's out there. :) This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Sat, May 10, 14 at 21:26
    ...See More

It's May, how is your build coming along?

Q

Comments (69)
    I decided to finally post to this thread even though we're about at the end of our ropes. We're nearly done with the house. Trim guys finished last week. All we really have left is some electrical work, plumbing fixture installation, final coat of paint and the exterior grading, then of course the huge punch list. Mostly though we're just frustrated at the lack of attention we've received from the builder and the constant barrage of shortcuts all the subs are trying to take because they want to be done with the project and the foreman isn't around. We talked with the foreman yesterday and he outright admitted that he has no idea what's going on at our house because he hasn't been there in so long. Every day it's my husband's job to see what's been done wrong and have it addressed. DH has basically been the foreman on this job, so obviously the foreman we're paying doesn't feel like he needs to be there. We're nearing the end and I'm just dreading the battle with them over the final draw on the house. We know they and their subs are going to try to soak us for more money to cover all their mistakes when they were THEIR mistakes, not ours. We feel like we should be getting a discount for doing their jobs for them and I'm sure they're going to try to soak us for every last penny and I'm dreading having this discussion. At this point we just want these people done and out of our house and out of our lives. Hopefully soon. Very, very soon.
    ...See More

It's May 2014, how is your build - Part II?

Q

Comments (150)
    Autumn, we have a similar ladder that we bought at Menards when I painted parts of our home last year before putting it on the market. I love having the handle at the top to hold on to since I don't particularly like ladders. :-) By the way, I really like how your pendants look in the kitchen. Everything came out so nice! Good luck on the inspection! JDez, whew, about the check! Thanks for the reminder. We have to pay our trim carpenter this week and then get money back from the bank on our next draw. I need to transfer some money from savings to checking. Today our glass shower door is being delivered and the carpenters are going to start working on our closets. Oh, and last weekend we bought this for my catch-all desk right inside the doors. Craig's List find. Plenty of room for mail, purse drop off, keys, charging station, land-line, etc. Needs a little clean up in the grooves but in excellent shape. It's extremely heavy.
    ...See More

It's January 2024, how is your build going?

Q

Comments (98)
    It's been a hard month. Recently I found out my dad has cancer which has spread through his body and he has several weeks/months to live so our family has been spending alot of time with him. It's strange to be building a house (something you are so excited about) and dealing with something so terrible. So I have been off the grid for awhile. Our tile guy has been working on tiling for last three weeks and takes his time, He's very meticulous about measuring and tile placement, i guess that is good for us. His tile work includes 3 guest bathrooms, laundry room and main master bath. He's almost done with the three guest bathrooms and laundry and will work on master bath next. I had a tile selection remorse after ordering from company called Tilebar. The tile I selected which were to go into the floor for the laundry room and master bath had good reviews. I also got a sample and saw their pictures and thought it would look nice. However when it was installed in the laundry room first (also to go in the master bath floor) and it was not what I expected and looked so different from the pics/sample. After a lot of thought, I decided not to have this tile in my bathroom floor. We have over $2K of this tile left and I decided to eat the cost and get another tile. I can return the tile but after 15% restocking fee and paying for shipping, I don't think there's a lot left. Our cabinets are supposed to come 1st week of Feb. I can't wait for this. We have our interior doors installed, trims done and harwood floors installed.
    ...See More
  • Janet
    15 days ago

One foot in front of the other is how it’s done! Literally everything I do is just keep going! Tiny steps! The granite doesn’t have all the holes for the faucet! Just schedule a fix and keep going! We don’t have all our light fixtures! Just keep going! We are going to do an epoxy in the floor of the “living quarters” in the shop we built because I felt the plain concrete was so ugly. Another step. Will it ever end. lol.

worthy thanked Janet
  • Chandllerin
    15 days ago

May already?! @2rickies we have the same exact fridge and my cabinet guys also said that it has enough room to vent but I definitely plan to double check. We are supposedly 2-3 weeks away from the finish line. I’ll believe it when I get the green light to book the moving truck. Our builder found some “forgotten invoices” that pushed us waaaaay over budget so my husband has been dealing with him all week. Fun times!

• pgjs
    15 days ago

@Renee M Thank you! We decided to do accent walls for the kids bedrooms, so it'll be easier to repaint when/if they change their minds. We're planning to do some painting ourselves to save money and because I'm not ready to pick colors.

@Laurie Thank you! Hopefully in about a week. Our cabinet order got messed up, so they had to delay installation.

• D Michael
    14 days ago

This week our builder came by and marked off the house corners with us. We were able to get it way closer to the existing house than we thought, so we’ll definitely be needing some bedroom curtains! We have all things ready to go, just need to have electric and cable temporarily moved on Monday then time to dig as soon as we get a break from the constant storms. It sounds like we’ll wait to hookup sewer until the old house is torn down versus doing a less ideal solution. We seriously can’t wait!! When we went in to sign our build contract earlier this week, the builder said they’d already framed up over half of our house in their shop during their rainy downtime, so safe to say we’ve been impressed with them. They are moving so fast and said it’d definitely be done by end of the year. It’s a 2500 square foot ranch with an unfinished walkout, so hopefully the timeline pulls through because our current house is a double wide from the 70s and is falling apart. Our floor has a hump running down the middle where the two sides connect and when it rains hard, we have to move the microwave and coffee machine to a different outlet because our yard’s too wet? Yikes! LOL!

• worthy
    Original Author
    14 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

So I take it that's not a permanent planned mosquito conservation pond.

Puts my "wetlands" and stuck 4 tonne 4x4 to shame!

I like the kitchen island bringing the outside inside. I may use our exterior man-made stone and brick for the basement bar island. Already using it for a fireplace hearth and ensuite wall.

But first I should test the in-floor heating. Hate to have leaks appear under that brick!

Brickies off to next project. (I'm still here.)

• izzieo
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Wow Renee - so much water? Did you build in a flood zone?

2rickies I am dying to see more photos of your kitchen cherry material against the floor material, do you have closeups? is it a clear coat on the cherry? I think cherry is too warm for most of our place as we chose white oak floors that are honestly pretty green when beside warm tones. However I’m working on the laundry room design and there is a big wood desk on one side plus the sills so I think something warm might look incredible in here, tile flooring can be anything! The room faces northwest.

worthy - you should look into a whole home plumbing monitor. The technology can detect even tiny pinhole leaks apparently. Seems especially good if you’re worried about radiant floor. Not sure yet if the discounted home insurance applies to Canada, we are getting Moen Flo which our plumber likes but there is also the Phyn monitor.

worthy thanked izzieo
  • Renee M
    13 days ago

@Worthy- definitely not planned. Our mosquitoes here are the size of hummingbirds, we do NOT wanna make more. 🤣

The neighbors across the street, their driveway was covered, I'm glad my husband convinced me to let him buy so much dirt. The neighbors⬇️⬇️😬. They could still get out, and thankfully their trailer is on piers.

worthy thanked Renee M
  • Renee M
    13 days ago

@ izzieo , no not a flood zone, we made sure of that. We've just had record rain lately. One of the lakes 1.5 hours north of us that feeds into our rivers is at record levels, even higher than it was when we had Hurricane Harvey here in 2017. They're having to release water and some areas are seriously flooding, ours is just direct rain.

worthy thanked Renee M
  • T T
    13 days ago

Renee, I would be concerned with that much water that close to the foundation. Is there anything that can be done with some regrading to move the water further away (for example, in our area, it would probably require a deeper retention pond off near the edge of that area). The cost to move dirt around won't be that high and I think it's worth protecting a brand new home.

• Renee M
    13 days ago

The builder is bringing in 12 more loads of dirt for grading before they do landscaping and my husband will add more after we move in. He already has plans.

• izzieo
    13 days ago

Yes I was thinking the same thing TT - a pond is a good idea. That seems like a very low spot to build, so if you dig a pond you can use the material to build up some high area around the house.

Making me glad we built on top of a hill! Other risks like wind but flooding is not on the list.

• Keen B
    12 days ago

@Renee M In 2009, we had record rains in our area--like 100 year levels. All the houses' basements on our road flooded. Ours scared me and taught me why people drown in their own homes--we cleaned out water to my hips with a sump, and had just finished the floors with a wet vac, when it started raining again, and with in mere minutes it was back to my hips. Hard to imagine til you see it in person. I say this, because, first, be very careful if it keeps raining, and second, we never had that problem again. I guess 100 year floods are called that for a reason, so don't worry too much about seeing that lake year after year.

worthy thanked Keen B
  • Renee M
    12 days ago

@Keen, the rain has stopped and the water was down considerably today.

The area our house is on didn't flood during hurricane harvey in 2017 here, my old house had 5.5' of water in it, it's about 15 minutes south of this one. About 30 minutes east it has been flooding, but they're near the river.

That being said, we are adding more dirt later, we've spent about $40k on dirt for the house pad and driveway, I didn't want a pond on our land. We'll add as needed. 😁

• worthy
    Original Author
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

The cost to move dirt around won't be that high...

Don't be so sure.

The first time we cut the short driveway and moved soil out, it cost a cool C$20K. That's C$500 a load per truck plus C$250 per hour for the backhoe and operator.

The river branch meandering through our neighbourhood is most times shallow and sleepy. Until it isn't. The year before we moved in, it flooded the area. Many millions invested since 2015 in new storm sewers will ensure it doesn't happen again. Supposedly.

• Renee M
    12 days ago

Our dirt is $125 a load plus $300 for the equipment flat and $20 a load to spread it. 20 loads of dirt would be $3,300. 😵‍💫 We'll do what we have to in order to protect our house.

worthy thanked Renee M
  • worthy
    Original Author
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I should really have learned to operate heavy equipment!

(And that explains the variety of high-end wheels the contractor arrives in to pick up his envelopes.)

• Renee M
    11 days ago

Right Worthy?! Honestly blue- collar work is the way to go. The only reason my husband doesn't buy the big wheels is because I keep him from doing it. He has that mentality, but I handle the money. 🤣🤣 All his co-workers ask him "how do you save money" as they drive off in their $80,000 mud buggy. 🤦🏽‍♀️

worthy thanked Renee M
  • Kelly M
    11 days ago

I love all these dirt moving and equipment comments, keep them coming.

It's what I do. :)

This will be my primary toolkit to rough in the 550' driveway, set the culvert, dig the basement, haul in 20 loads of various quarry materials, hammer the rock in, dig in the 2400' of Ground Source Heat Pump (GSHP) loops, etc etc.

That scope of work is about two weeks for myself and some friends and family.

There are 2 more buckets and a compactor in the bed of the truck. It's a swiss army knife.

I had a convo with the inspector to fill in some gaps on the plan. I had omitted header information and he had Rev A of the plans. He has already annotated it so rather than send him Rev B, I started a trial of Adobe Pro and pulled out the sheets in question and edited and annotated it.

This is a prescriptive design so I reference the 2021 IRC.

Screen Cap of example.

I figured out how to snap to straight when free drawing so i can get some things done without bothering my draftsman.

For example, he drew the wall short at that pantry when it needed to go out to get enough Braced Wall Line (BWL).

Easy fix.

I know houzz is more touchy feely but I am at the nuts and bolts stage. I will get there.

Oh YIKES @Renee M !

That reminds me of a job we started this spring for a second building in this lake.

They hauled in a few thousand yards of import pit run to fix all this and hauled out the red clay dirt that held the water so well.

I asked if we were getting dive certified plumbers for this one. :)

worthy thanked Kelly M
  • worthy
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Grey clay here.

Our area was called "The Wetlands" before it was first developed in the 1960s. Not water coming up. But water that falls mainly leaves by evaporation. Squishy for weeks at a time.

Over and under.

Demo and excavation by three Bobcats--two excavators and a front end loader.

It was amazing to see the dance of the two excavators moving the buckets under and over each other like dancers. The operators have been working together for many years. One of the excavators has a fully articulated attachment able to pick up a single block or 2bye.

Backfilling

In lieu of a crane.

Over and Under (see text above)

• izzieo
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Haha worthy I also wish I could operate the heavy equipment, but it’s probably for the best that I can’t… I think we spent just under $40k to build our gravel driveway last year, it’s approx 800 ft long and winding uphill through forest. The cost of septic was pretty shocking, with clay subsoil we needed to bring in something like 20 loads of sand if memory serves… yikes.

I am looking forward to soon continuing our ‘terraforming mars’ project because we need to finish all the grading around the house which is built into the hill.

Question for you Kelly M - what is the best way to haul big rocks and boulders over to the house to position for landscaping? We have many big rocks around our property but the distance to retrieve them is far, and they are heavy. We were thinking to ask our earth guy to ‘grab’ them and bring them over so we can build a couple retaining walls/rock gardens against the house. We don’t want the huge machinery driving all over the land compacting it and tearing it up, plus they are very slow so for instance driving to the bottom of our hill to get those rocks might be a slow endeavour.

I must say, the earth work has been one of the most confusing parts of our build because it’s so hard to wrap your mind around unless you are there in person. I have a 3D model of the house so it’s pretty easy to see and understand exactly how everything will be for construction, but when it comes to the complex topography it is almost impossible to accurately do the landscape design remotely from home. The first challenge is hauling rocks closer to the house, the second is carefully positioning them. We also want to build another retaining wall (only ~ 1ft tall) with small dry stacked rocks for the garden area, I thought we might as well get the guy to haul some over and pile nearby for us so we don’t have to manually fetch them which sounds quite tedious.

worthy thanked izzieo
  • Kelly M
    10 days ago

@izzieo you need to accept a certain amount of tearing up and compacting. The key is the order of operations.

1) move in rocks.

2) set decorative rocks and build walls

3) Make sure you are happy with it.

4) check that thought one more time.

5) restore the grades and begin the planting processes.

This way you do not waste time smoothing it all out repeatedly, only to tear things up.

If the rocks are far enough away I load them in a truck.

You may want to rent a small excavator with thumb for you to operate. Even middling rocks will wear you down, and you get nothing done if you are injured.

• Renee M
    9 days ago

Hopefully propane is going in Friday, painters will be there to fix punch list next week, final walk through 5/20, which is also our anniversary! Day 111 since foundation pour.

They will have to come back and do the landscaping, the 12 included loads of dirt and 12 included pallets of grass, to get us started. They'll do that when it dries more so they can actually acquire them.

• D Michael
    9 days ago

We have our hole dug! Tomorrow we get footers! It feels so real. We had a big tree that unfortunately had to go (we’ll plant more trees when done), and it was crazy to see them removed so fast. A big pine tree was just plucked from the ground! Next Friday we meet with the kitchen and bath designer. I have most materials picked out, so I’m mainly excited to get specifics worked out!

• agbhw
    8 days ago

I haven’t updated in a while. We’ve been busy at the house building ourselves, but no tradesmen have been there recently until last week. We finally had a new trim carpenter come. He’s going to finish the exterior cornice that the last crew quit us on (in November). He’s also building the exterior window trim, putting up siding, fixing up the dormers.. inside he will put up the tongue and groove walls and the trim. It was raining last week, and this week :/ , so he started on the window trim. He could build those inside. We have them all prime and ready for him to hang up. The wood is Red Grandis. The pictures below show it first built and then primed one coat. The main house has a “fancier” casing than the garage does. On the side by side photos, the garage casings are on the left and the main house on the right. The main house also has a bigger sill because it will be on full bed depth stone. The garage sill is smaller because it’s going on wood siding. I’ll upload more pictures in another comment.

• agbhw
    8 days ago

Drywall is ordered and we are expecting them any day now. So exciting!! We are not drywalling the kitchen, pantry or mudroom. It will be tongue and groove walls. The garage we are still searching for an alternative to drywall. Our doors are being made currently in Alabama. I’m hoping to get the call by the end of the month that they’re done and ready to pick up. Once we get the doors on then I can call my stone guy to start the exterior stone. We got our sixth load of Tennessee limestone this week. We are getting it at wholesale price and saving so much. We have the dump truck, weighing equipment, everything we need to buy it this week. The mason was fine with it not being on pallets too. We will use our equipment to move it closer to the house for him when the time comes. I’ve been busy trying to figure out which tongue and groove to order and selecting exterior hardware.

• izzieo
    7 days ago

Why are you looking for an alternative to drywall for your garage? I am designing a large detached garage and I thought it would be best to do plywood, apparently it’s more expensive than drywall. Even for ugly plywood. I was envisioning beautiful birch ply but the cost would truly be astronomical in a large space. There are products like Trusscore which are interesting because you can get the slat wall which attaches storage accessories. But it’s PVC and I prefer natural materials, it’s an option you could consider. I think I’ll probably do drywall but maybe some sections of plywood where we can build a French cleat wall with wood for storage.

• Renee M
    6 days ago

Shower glass is in, mirrors are installed, the well is hooked up to the house, my heated floor thermostat is installed, the cedar is there and they're working on the shutters (I think they forgot so I casually asked Tuesday when they would be put on), the propane tank is there and connected, they'll come fill it Monday.

• 2rickies
    6 days ago

@izzieo, I will try to take some close-ups of the cherry cabs with the flooring next time I'm there! We originally were doing white oak cabs and floors, but I switched to cherry cabs b/c we like them a lot and thought that all vertical grain white oak was going to be a little to stark for us. The floor is still white oak, as are the ceiling beams, the FP mantel, and a lintel at the entrance to the great room. The floors haven't been finished yet, but they'll be finished clear, most likely, with Bona Traffic. The interior doors are also cherry with vertical grain, but they came in damaged so now we have to wait until next month for those.

Random annoyances: the dishwasher front panel did not arrive. It was supposed to come directly from Miele weeks ago, so now I'm waiting for the salesman to check on it. And, the builder seems to have misplaced one of the bathroom faucets I gave him almost a year ago. And, I'm still struggling with choosing cabinet handles. I thought I was getting black, but now that we're doing white quartzite in the kitchen, the black looks too stark, and a lighter color finish would look better. I'm looking at brushed nickel, but a lot of them have a brown cast that doesn't work in the room. Final annoyance for now, I've been trying to find someone to build a fence for my dog, and that turns out to be not as easy as I'd expected. Surprisingly for a rural area, there seems to be a shortage of fence installers.

On the plus side, I chose the rest of the countertops. What a relief to have that set of decisions made! I'm using Carrara in the guest bath, a honed black granite called black mist for the hearth, and another light quartzite called Calacatta Giotto in the primary bathrooms. I thought I'd use Carrara in all the bathrooms, but it was too gray for the primary baths. Here's the calacatta giotto:

• izzieo
    5 days ago

Wowza 2rickies I can’t wait to see how your project turns out, everything seems to be coming together now! Definitely the right call choosing cherry for your kitchen. I have been hemming and hawing forever about our cabinets. Floor is also wide oak along with the stairs nearby and a big wood column and slat wall thing. Same tone cabinets might be pretty monotonous, so I thought of something darker. It’s hard to get the right stain for oak and I prefer natural wood anyway so finally circling back to walnut 🙃 I love the smooth grain and it’s nice that we just need clear coat so no worries about choosing a stain. I love what I’ve seen of your selections. I am not a fan of brushed nickel… I think you said you’re doing simple modern pulls? https://www.emtek.com/all-products/cabinet-hardware/cabinet-pulls/bar/ Do you like polished nickel or is it too much? I’m doing PN faucet but probably something not polished for hardware as I imagine it getting gross looking pretty quickly and life is too short to be cleaning kitchen cabinet handles. The tumbled white bronze from Emtek is super pretty, but the styles for the sandcast bronze hardware are rustic looking so not sure if you’d like them as I think you wanted simple modern pulls.

• 2rickies
    5 days ago

@izzieo, thank you for the emtek suggestion! I actually the 'modern rustic' style more than the stark modern bar pulls. My plan is to totally avoid what I call "pocket rippers." I've focused instead on the ones that looks square-ish. I prefer finishes that are not shiny (all of the counters will be honed or leathered), especially b/c there are so many big windows and so much light, I don't want more reflective surfaces. Even in the bathrooms I might get brushed finish handles. I wonder if the bronze ones will be too brown with the other materials in the room; gray tones are better. I was looking at pewter, but most of the pewters I found have been very dark or too traditional. I finally found a local place that sells handles that keeps a large variety in the store, so maybe I'll have luck there!

• Chandllerin
    2 days ago

I’ve been quiet and deep in home building hell. We got our CO today. I should be doing backflips but we are still arguing with the builder about final numbers. We asked to review a few invoices and our builder and his admin (his daughter) are not as organized and meticulous as they led us to believe. We’re at the finish line and we still can’t enjoy our new home.

• Chandllerin
    2 days ago

More pics. We have a lovely dirt garden in our backyard. Our builder couldn’t get rid of it but I’m sure we will use it when the real gardening and landscaping begin.

worthy thanked Chandllerin
  • izzieo
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Chandllerin it looks amazing!!!

I am at the point of wanting to give up, sell this stupid half-built house because it is not turning out at all how I wanted.

I have repeated many times that I need to see ALL material samples together at once before making any decisions for wood. Of course, I had to choose the flooring a long time ago so I did… assuming the stair maker/finishers could colour match to the flooring and the same for window sills. Kitchen cabinetry was to be a similar tone but just darker. Only a couple days ago did I get samples of the wood sills with clear coat finish we want along with the horrendously matched stair finish. So, of course, it is abundantly clear now we chose the wrong flooring but it is too late to change.

Anyway I posted another thread here that will probably go nowhere but I’m just so shocked at how poorly this has been executed when we’re paying so much for full time project management AND have spent a lot of money talking with a designer who works for the GC… it’s like these people have never done this before, maybe most clients usually just choose natural woods with clear coat only but if that is the case it would have been good to see samples BEFORE choosing the flooring. This is probably going to create a several months long delay and it was completely avoidable.

• Janet
    yesterday

Chandllerin- sorry for your frustrations but beautiful home!! Love the green!! So beautiful! Hope you’re able to get through the last frustrations and just enjoy.

• worthy
    Original Author
    yesterday

Nicely thought-out country properties! (The complexities of wood matching are beyond me!)

Choosing cabinetry now. But six figure quotes without counters throwing me for a loop. So economizing with some stock vanities and foregoing wood for MDF.

I had chosen the highest quality laminate for the basement flooring--commercial rated AC 6 with water resistant coating underneath. None of the homes I've built have leaked except the one for which I had to hire a project manager in order to qualify for financing. But there's always a first time! So it's slate...again.

• TDinNC
    yesterday

Chanderlin - beautiful! Well done!!

• pgjs
    yesterday

@Chandllerin Everything looks great! I hope you can resolve the issues smoothly and enjoy your house!

@izzieo Sorry to hear that you were rushed to make decisions without samples. Matching finishes is hard enough with them.

We're getting close! I have some frustrations with our kitchen cabinets, which have been messed up multiple times, but am excited about how everything is coming together.

• 2rickies
    yesterday

wow, @chandllerin, everything is looking great!

@pgjs, gorgeous rooms!

@chanllerin and @izzieo, I hope you can work things out soon and that in the end it all gets overshadowed by the lovely time you'll have in that house on that lovely piece of land. If it's anything like the renos I've done in the past, I can say that the things I thought would bother me were soon forgotten when I was actually using the space.

I have to choose cabinet pulls for everywhere, and after looking at a bunch of different brands, I finally ordered a bunch of samples from Top Knobs. Then I went to a store that had a big selection, and they advised against using Top Knobs for the kitchen because they're made of zinc and they wouldn't be durable. Really?? Convenient that all the other brands they carried were double the price (and up!). If I only needed a few, maybe I'd splurge on bronze, but I need way more than a few.

I'm trying to zero in on a chandelier for over the dinner table, which is in the middle-ish of the great room. I also need two pendants for over the island. I'm thinking of doing an attention-getting chandelier, and something low-key for the pendants, like textured clear glass. I figure I need a chandelier that's about 4ft long and 2ft tall (13ft ceiling). I'm thinking of this one, below. They can make it with a matte silver finish instead of gold, which will go better with the room. Should I do it? I can't decide.

It would go in this room, approx where I'm standing to take this photo:

Here's the room in the other direction:

• D Michael
    yesterday

Basement walls poured! Can’t wait to see our floor plan come to life!

• D Michael
    yesterday

I wasn’t sure that my comment would go through so I kept it short! The final floor plan that we don’t have digital yet has had a few tweaks such as a wider basement hallway to allow for a slider and also a pass through between the pantry and laundry room. The builder has all of our walls framed up in their shop ready to be hauled over and put up, so we just need a few more good days of weather to pour the basement floor! We’re especially excited to see the positioning of our house now that we have walls to help visualize. The only neighbor we have faces the covered patio, but the angle of the house prevents them from seeing anything but the side of our garage. The bedroom corners of our home are surrounded by our own timber, so no chance of trees being cut down and taking away our privacy. Excited to show more as the build progresses! We take a walk around the site after each workday since it’s literally next door. The best view of the house is looking out the window above our changing table, so I see the crew working as I’m changing newborn diapers!

• TDinNC
    16 hours ago

2Rickies - I love the idea of a statement chandelier, particularly if you keep the pendants low key. I love that impact! On another note, I think we may be located in the same general area. I’m in the NC mountains. At what store did you look at those expensive knobs? I’d love to avoid them if possible! LOL

• Laurie
    12 hours ago

pgjs - Thank you for posting photos : ) Love seeing your kitchen countertops. How was your experience with Crocodile Rocks stone supplier and the installation? What countertop did you use in the bathroom? Your kitchen windows are amazing.

-Laurie

• Janet
    11 hours ago

2rickies - the chandelier would make a big impact. I’m not sure what else I would suggest. I’ve looked at a lot of lighting, and it is so overwhelming. Good luck choosing! Your space looks beautiful so far.

• 2rickies
    10 hours ago
    last modified: 6 hours ago

@TDinNC, I'm in VA, but that store was in MD, so probably not where you'd end up! (oops forgot to add the name: Push Pull Hardware)

@janet, yes a big impact, possibly too much!!

I think I'm very tired of looking at lights. I've seen so many, and the ones I like either I can't afford or they don't seem right for the house, and the others DH doesn't like. I'm revisiting this one now, which I forgot about but was looking at months ago. It's a similar size but less dense, with "leaves" instead of globes:

• izzieo
    7 hours ago

2rickies this one is beautiful!!!! I loooove it! The leaves are so gorgeous. Get it! I love how delicate it is. I sort of regret getting a giant Nelson saucer bubble light for the dining table, maybe I’ll replace it with something prettier some day. Your space looks incredible. I forget, are your floors unfinished? I love them as they are, just wondering if you still have to coat them with something? Be very very careful, haha.

• 2rickies
    6 hours ago

@izzieo, thanks, I like that one better, too! The floors are not finished yet. We're using clear Bona Traffic, no stain.

• Janet
    3 hours ago

Lighting - like a lot of these choices - is so hard. So many options and things to consider.