SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
courtney_lopez54

pantry cabinet and fridge issue

Courtney
12 days ago

Anyone have this issue and a solution? The pantry seems like it should have had a filler between it and the fridge. Handles will prohibit fridge from fully opening and if we change to hinging on the left the pantry won't fully open. also worth mentioning we have so much space leftover too.

Comments (164)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

You aren't listening. ......as we try to help. Go take the picture I asked for, please? Directly in front of the appliance and pantry, all doors to both closed and tape on the handle as is, on the left side of pantry doors. Take a picture or four? Straight on , no angle at all. Jeeeeeesh. : )

• Courtney
    Original Author
    8 days ago

I’m assuming this is the handle. I have 4 boxes of handles but they’re all sealed for the crew.

• Related Discussions

Viking French Door Fridge & Cabinet Issue

Q

Comments (0)
    I am going to start installing my kitchen cabinets tommorrw, and realzied that my Viking French Door Fridge needs a little bit of space for the door to swing open. I dont have time to order a cabinet space; does anyone have any ideas, for how I can "space" the fridge from the wall since it is in a corner?
    ...See More

Freaking out about counter-depth fridge sticking out past pantry cabs!

Q

Comments (112)
    Post a photo of the copy of the approved plan they were supposed to build to. Does it show deeper sides with the adjacent counters butting into them? Enough room for 24.375 plus the 2 inches behind so that the sides of the refrigerator BOX can be installed flush with the front of the cabinetry? Normally a cabinet shop would make this allowance or at least go over the options and differences. But if someone else did the design and it was adhered to, you don't have much to stand on. Also, is the opening the correct height because the hinges not fitting into the opening (like the photo above) can keep it from going back as well? Did you by chance consider another refrigerator that would fit properly? That might be the easiest and most economical way to address the issue. Switch them up and sell the first one. And to the guy that commented about "custom shops" ordering components, this is a common practice throughout the industry. It's very rare to find a cabinet shop that builds every part of a cabinet anymore and as long as what is ordered is of acceptable quality and fits, what's the problem?
    ...See More

Kitchen Fridge issue - fridge/freezer drawers?

Q

Comments (2)
    What CluelessInColorado said! This might help: How do I ask for Layout Help and what information should I include? http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2767033/how-do-i-ask-for-layout-help-and-what-information .
    ...See More

any ideas how we can fix this fridge/cabinet issue??

Q

Comments (14)
    I love the look of recipe books in a kitchen. Id build a basic wooden box to fit the space, stain to match as close as possible and fill it with recipe books. make sure you mount it at least an inch above the top of the fridge for wiggle/ breathing space (check your fridge specs). Im not suggesting you store books you use everyday there as they arent going to be easy to access, i just think it would look nice be decorative.
    ...See More
  • Andee
    8 days ago

Where do you get the idea they will damage the cabinets? Your fear? Or their statements? Or something you read? Maybe someone here has a realistic idea of what kind of damage is possible. But people take down cabinets all the time during a renovation, maybe to paint them. Keep courage - this is difficult but you must stand your (reasonable) ground.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    8 days ago

Quick question - Is your ref installed properly? It looks to be a counter depth model and those usually stick out a little further than what you are showing. It requires 2 side panels cut to about 26-27" depth which covers the sides of the ref and keeps the doors free to swing. Typically they are 1 1/2" wide at the front. Those 2 things together should make the pantry work just fine ( the door should swing toward the ref ).

They would have to do a new crown stack just across the front and left side.

Personally, I feel like they should spring for the materials and the labor to fix that but you might have to fight. If the ref is not installed properly, then that may help get things corrected. Do you have the model number?

• ci_lantro
    8 days ago

There really should be no damage to the cabinets but if there is, it is their problem, not yours. Either they repair it to your satisfaction or they replace the cabinet. So it is in their interest to not damage it.

Removal should be as simple as removing the crown, removing the doors and backing out a few screws. Any nail holes in the face of the cabinet from removing the crown will be covered with install of new pieces of crown.

If they are mentioning cabinet damage, they are using a scare tactic, IMO.

• Courtney
    Original Author
    8 days ago

So in other groups on Facebook that I posted in some have had the panel next to the fridge place next to it because of this kind of goof and it hasn’t helped and they still have to have the fridge out. My contractor said that the company will make me pay for it if that’s the case and I’m not about to pay for that labor and product, if it does fail

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago

Your photo proved my point above…..

Your Facebook friends?!

Did not make clear that the added side panel would have been on the RIGHT of the upper cabinetry as well!!!

Go look at the left far edge of your upper cabs over that fridge. Look at same cabinets on the right side. NOT a match!!!!!!

• Courtney
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Missing a piece?

• rebunky
    8 days ago

I am glad they are switching the door swing to how it was supposed to be. Just make sure they patch the holes to your satisfaction. If it doesn’t look inconspicuous, then ask for a discount off the cost of the pantry.

It looks like the two pantry drawers will rollout with door not opening past 90*. It looks like the door will hit the fridge if opened all the way based on the picture below. Make sure they put a ”90* stopper” or whatever it is called on the hinges so the door won’t hit the fridge before it is fully opened. I would test if the drawers will slide out by holding the door so it is parallel to the frige at 90*.

The right fridge panel Jan is talking about at 1/2” would have probably been the perfect thickness so the pantry door would open fully and not hit the fridge. As long as the drawers pullout, I think it is not worth taking a chance on messing up the cabinets to add the 1/2” panel.

I understand why you are worried about them uninstalling, inserting the panel, and reinstalling. It because you do NOT trust them! You are afraid if they nick the paint, or they make pry marks, whatever, they won’t properly fix it. If they are not careful and damage the cabinets, a repair will never look as good as it does now. I don’t blame you. It is not right of course. They should make it look like it never happened. But, will they?

Jan, the picture above above has the fridge pulled forward. I think that is why it the plastic side shows that much. This picture below shows it pushed back to where it would be. They side shows slightly, but it is within reason.

But, you are absolutely right that they missed the panel. It would have been a more finished look and most likely made the pantry door fully open to the left. But my question is, wouldn’t the panel be in line with the pantry cabinet and above the fridge cabinet? I don’t think it would cover the side anymore then the pantry does. I apologize if I am misunderstanding.

The whole problem is they ordered the pantry with the wrong door swing. They ordered a right hand swing instead of a left hand swing like the plan shows. Instead of ordering a new pantry, which would delay the install, they went ahead and installed it.

They where hoping you would not notice. They actually thought they would get away with it and you would be fine just pulling the fridge out further. 😡

• Courtney
    Original Author
    8 days ago

There should definitely be some type of filler between the pantry and fridge. It’s incomplete housing and they used the pantry to be the housing for the other side instead of getting a panel. It looks so incomplete without it. It’s literally snug to the fridge, which just looks silly, but I see it all over when I just went into other places and on Facebook I’m surprised about how many people are messing this up. And yes, I’m absolutely terrified of them doing any patch job but I think with the pantry it’s hidden enough the holes that they’ll patch with the door that won’t be a concern as it would be if they were taking everything apart and putting it back together, I have very little faith in that being, a clean and professional job. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to notice until they put the molding up because they put the molding then the doors.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago

Look again?!?

please.

Both far left and far right of upper cabs atop fridge!!

Not a match!

To the facebook crew ?

That side panel wont help unlesssss it is alll the way ,including the far right upper cab above fridge!

No its not the same as filler. but the cheap cabinet housing??? No excuse for that!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago

The pull woluld have fit and cleared….despite thats a mere 1/2 inch panel that is …..

not there:(:(

• Courtney
    Original Author
    8 days ago

And it would’ve looked so finished instead of a pantry just slapped to the side of the fridge. 🥺

• rebunky
    8 days ago

Tape the pull 1/2” over to the right. Open the fridge door fully. Does it clear the pull or still hit it?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago

Yes!!! do that!!

:)

• Courtney
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Our refrigerator is a counter depth after looking at the specs.

The top is where it needs to be to not get hit with fridge pushed in and the bottom is 1/2 inch in from where I assume they’d put the handle.

• J Sk
    8 days ago

Looking at your pictures beside discussed problem, your fridge needs to be moved slightly forward, the fridge door barely clears cabinet doors

• Courtney
    Original Author
    8 days ago

It’s was out a bit prior but it’s hard because the actual flooring isn’t in and our fridge was leveled with the tiles. They told me they’ll level it once the floors come.

• Courtney
    Original Author
    8 days ago

If I pull it out the bottom is showing a ton of gray and as soon as I open, it slides back a bit.

• rebunky
    8 days ago

Thank you for the photos.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t think you moved the pull over enough. I think the 1/2” would be added from the right edge of the pull when it is perfectly centered on the stile. The left edge would start at that point. Hopefully this illustration explains it better. 😬

If you tape the pull approximately where I have it, does fridge still hit?

This is what I think should have happened in the first place. A 1/2” panel and the correct pantry swing (as the plan showed) would have solved this whole mess.

Pantry handles on right makes it so you have a convenient countertop landing when loading groceries.

The 1/2” fridge panel on the right to match the left not only looks better and more finished, but it also serves a purpose. That extra 1/2” would allow the pantry door to fully open. And, possibly allow the drawers work properly, if the door fully opened is needed.

They totally dropped the ball on this. You did not deserve the treatment they gave you when you are totally in the right. They should have been apologizing to the max and telling you, don’t worry, we will fix this like it never happened. We want to make our customers happy and keep our fine reputation.

Instead, they were total jerks.

• Courtney
    Original Author
    8 days ago

I just wish I could trust them with fixing, I don’t. Our countertops are in now as well. 😔

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago

"where I assume they’d put the handle."

Assuming was/is the whole problem here.

......"they" don't decide where the pulls go. YOU tell them where they go. If you need help, tell us.

Leave them nothing else to screw up. It's a drill in their hands : ( and drill nothing on the pantry doors until all is decided /resolved.

@ Rebunky ....unless my eye lies? That missing fridge panel is 3/4 : )Look bottom of the cad you clipped.

• J Sk
    8 days ago

^^^ yep 3/4" panel match one on the left. The funny thing is also that the kitchen drawing shows 3/4" filler after the pantry, between pantry and upper &base cabinets but I think it's missing in built kitchen??? Green arrow.

• rebunky
    8 days ago

Good eyes Jan! I see the 3/4”!

The reason I thought the side panel was 1/2” thick was because you said this upthread…

Go back to the picture you sent, and the FACT that your housing for the fridge is not complete and is missing a side.

Had that side been in place? The pull would have fit on the cabinet, and yes, even without pulling the fridge forward. The fridge doors are NOT wider than the fridge, and you pantry door would fully open TOWARD the drawer base at right.

Yes, that missing 1/2 inch makes a difference, and none of the side of the fridge would be visible.

I mistakenly thought that you were saying that the fridge panel was 1/2” thick. 3/4” is even better right?

Jan, I am learning how these tiny details matter so much! If you don’t mind, i would love to pick your brain on this.

So in the original 2D plan, I see the pantry door is hinged on the left, pull on the right. I am sorry, but I don’t get it. Why should she accept the currently installed pantry and do all this rigamarole just to deal with the fact that it has the wrong door swing? To me it is much less functional opening to the right. I would not accept that if it was not what I signed off on.

If the pantry came with the correct door swing, would we even be here discussing the distance in inches it takes until the fridge door hits the dang pull?

If they had ordered the pantry correctly, do you think it would have worked if the fridge panel was also added?

What if the pantry was ordered correctly with it hinging on the left, but they still forgot to add the fridge panel? Would the rollout pantry drawers still be able to slide out with the pantry door not opening beyond 90* being too tight to the fridge? It looks like the drawers might clear the opening at 90*, but I know sometimes they need the door to open fully. It is like how a french door fridge needs the doors to open beyond 90* to remove the crisper bins.

I am so sorry if I’m not making myself clear. 🤪

• Courtney
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Not to add any more confusion, but this pantry can go either way, left or right, neither side is finished with a footing aside from its actual base, if that makes sense. Hinge holes are on both sides. What’s missing is adding a filler to either side. He DID ask if I wanted filler on the right side which made no sense, but it was to avoid this area on countertop. What about fridge function? I was never offered and it was never mentioned. When I asked post install he said this is how we always do it.

• J Sk
    8 days ago

^^ the picture above showing right side of the fridge without this panel just doesn't look right. You are totally right, cabinets pushed against the fridge.

• Courtney
    Original Author
    8 days ago

It’s poor designing. Plain and simple. When someone tells me they’re putting a pantry next to a fridge you think it’s going to have a space between a cabinet door and the pantry. This is happening far too often. I’m taking no joy that it’s happening to others, but happy that some have inquired and found that their setup was set to be the same and adding filler.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago

Look. When we say detail matter? We mean it!

When we say a cabinet salesman isn't a designer? We are very sadly, too often correct.

Absolutely NO cabinet place, other than the cheapest crapola would build a fridge housing as they did. WTH did they save? Fifty bucks? and it looks like HELL?

No matter which way you wanted the door to hinge and swing? All that was needed was fifty bucks, the side panel on fridge from floor to crown molding!!!

When they get there? You show them your phone and scroll to the ink I just typed. Emphasize C.R.A.P.O.L.A.

I AM SORELY tempted to have you do this: If not with them, with someone else.

And bet me on this........someone had the same issue and look up at crown.....it's a dead giveaway.

• Courtney
    Original Author
    8 days ago

I’m debating requesting an inch panel on each side. Would it hurt my countertops? Can I trust them taking apart and then putting back together?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago

You don't need the inch, both sides! You need the 3/4 inch on the left of the pantry, and the right of the fridge. The MISSING SIDE PANEL!! Crown molding bottom, to the blasted floor!

Frankly, 3/4 allowing the side of fridge hidden is all that matters and WHICH way the pantry opens is very quickly becoming irrelevant. It's food. It's snacks. You will eat.

Someone had the same F up, look at the fix.....on the crown to bottom. I repeat.....dead giveaway and they did NOT fix the upper trim. Look under that recessed light, and slightly right of it. Bet me same company??? and an add on piece to face of pantry cabinet only

• Courtney
    Original Author
    8 days ago

I’m talking about on the left side of the fridge. It looks silly, I’m going to ask them to finish. It’s just a piece of wood.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago

Take a picture of left side of fridge

• Courtney
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Left side

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago

The fridge is not in there leveled!!!. You need the actual specs of that fridge, or risk the door doesn't fully open.

Do this. Pull the fridge all out,

Un plug it, tape cord and plug to back side and tight

Push it back in......can you make side invisible, AND open the door fully.

• Andee
    8 days ago

What is wrong with the left side panel of the fridge? Finish what? Yes, it is a piece of wood.

Courtney: Please focus on the main issue. Copy and paste the essence of what Jan is telling you and what is now painfully obvious in the latest pictures she posted. You don’t need filler; you don’t need 1”. You need the missing side panel between the right of the fridge and left of the pantry.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    8 days ago

Again, my comment from the weekend, STOP. You need to meet with everyone on the team and get things in order. Why isn’t the floor done? Why isn’t the floor even ready for flooring? This is all backwards. Who is running this reno? There are so many problems but you keep just moving forward adding more.

• Courtney
    Original Author
    8 days ago

I’m not worried about fridge placement. I’m talking about a piece of wood that looks unfinished. And floor isn’t here because they failed to order when I picked it and someone bought the entire stock 😡

Their response is this is how it’s designed, next to the fridge with no filler. They’ve “never had an issue”.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago

What " piece of wood" that looks unfinished....It's a full white panel on the left side of the fridge.

• J Sk
    8 days ago

Don't believe whatever they say, heard this "song" for 2 years of my build, it's just to make you accept their screw and be done with you. I think you're talking about decorative panel on the side of your fridge, right?

• Courtney
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Yes, decorative but not sure if they’re adding anything.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago

I'll add:

At some point, and like a grown up.

You make your list of all the issues, you get that contractor back in your kitchen.'

And you say:

Here is the deal. You are not getting another dime, until you get with this cabinet joint and together you fix this mess.

You don't have a floor, so now......WHAT is the floor?

You can not sit back, assume, and wait until all is delivered or not delivered and assume all will be okay.

I don't mean to yell, but at some point? You can not assume a darn thing. Pay more for quality and skilled help. S(killed) or get killed in a thousand tiny cuts..

• WestCoast Hopeful
    8 days ago

100% agree with Jan. Honestly this is a train wreck you keep on moving forward with. Lots of great advice and ideas shared and you are letting them roll over you and do what they want which is all bad.

• PRO
    Minardi
    8 days ago

That floor isn't prepped properly even for vinyl. That should have been done way before cabinets are on site, as it's a dirty messy job. Permanant floors are installed before cabinets, under the cabinets. Floating floors are installed after cabinets, with the cabinets shimmed and set to the finished floor height, over a properly prepped and level subfloor, so you have no issues with appliance clearances., So, either option you have chosen for the floors, is done incorrectly.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago

Assuming a toe kick?

A builder usually installs flooring last, even for permanent flooring. The cabinets are all shimmed to required height ( example 3/4 hardwood ) and the permanent floor installed under at range, dishwasher, fridge opening. Then? Appliances delivered and installed. S.O.P. as they resist any possible floor damage in finishing said house.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

"Yes, decorative but not sure if they’re adding anything........."

What do you see here below? You see nada!!

The only thing you can be "sure" of?

There was no trim planned, it is a very standard plain skin, actually a quite normal skin in this level of cabinetry, and evident in the elevation you r.e.c.e.i..v.e.d a full month before you received the cad drawings. It is the least of your issues at this point.

• rebunky
    7 days ago

Courtney, you are not going to believe this!

I had an epiphany just now and went to check out the photos of my kitchen when it was new but not quite finished.

Is this not your same LG fridge???

I used to have it!

My fridge surround is different of course, but can you see how the entire side of the fridge box is covered? The only thing that stuck out was the doors.

The way the door is hinged on this model, the fridge does not need to be pulled out beyond the box for them to fully open. I was always a little amazed how the fully opened door would miss the surround by what seemed like less then a hair. It was great! But unfortunately it kicked the bucket.

Maybe show these pics to the owner and GC?

• rebunky
    7 days ago

I hesitated to post this because you have enough to deal with, but I feel like you deserve so much better!

I hate to add more fuel to the fire, but I would not be a happy camper with that super sloppy gap between your quartz and the side of your pantry. It looks like it is either smeared on the side of the cabinet or the gap is cut all wonky.

It is hard to tell what the actual size of the gap is and whether it runs parrallel to the cabinet the whole way across. That little notched out part definitely looks too wide and also looks like the angle is not even cut straight. You should not have caulking running down the front face of the overhang and smeared all over the cabinetry. That tells me that they knew that notch is cut crooked since they tried to hide it with caulk. They where hoping you would not notice. I would be about ready to snap if I was you.

Here is a picture of a properly cut countertop next to cabinetry with info from the Marble Institute of America on the industry standard for gaps. I found this on a past thread. See how this counter is a pretty straight line and has no visible gap? This is the work of a good fabricator who knows how to template correctly.

Here is the standard for gaps according to the Marble Institute of America site discussing the installation of natural stone surfaces in a kitchen:

"Visible joints between stone and other materials (e.g., cabinetry, gypsum wall board) shall be 1/8", with a tolerance of [plus or minus]1/16" ([plus or minus]1.5 mm), and filled with a soft, elastic material."

This is the gap between my countertop and my beadboard wall. The tape shows how small it is. I have been planning to repaint, (among other things) so I have put off caulking it. It has only been like this for about 8 1/2 years now! 😳😬😂

I cannot get too upset at my contractor though because he did not charge me a dime to install my whole kitchen. Better not! He is my hubsband! 😘

Maybe others will say your gap looks perfectly acceptable. But if I was shelling out my hard earned money, I would expect the countertop to be installed properly and within the industry’s standards.

• Courtney
    Original Author
    7 days ago

yes, we talked about this and he said we could put a panel here so it doesn't come out like your picture with the gray counter and wood cabinet. I said it looks better if it comes out not connects fully. I wish he had any knowledge about putting a darn panel next to the fridge. If he put a panel next to the pantry there would have been an awkward gap as well. I said do it just like yours in the showroom, coming out is fine. But here we are..

Yesterday I almost lost my son to an anaphylactic reaction at one of our safest places to eat. I need the kitchen done already and just want the kitchen done and functional. If the pantry will not open they will need to fix and if swapping the sides works (including roll outs coming out fully), good, if not they'll have to put and filler all on their dime.

• Courtney
    Original Author
    7 days ago

And as far as fridges, mine opens with more clearance than I've seen in the stores. Some are even boxier and bigger. Whirlpool opens flush, but that was it. Ours is a counter-depth, they measured, and used a bad design that they keep using.

• rebunky
    6 days ago

Oh I am so sorry about you son! Glad he is ok. How scary!

It sounds like the company is finally listening and everyone is moving forward with a plan in place. Keep us posted and I wish you many happy memories spending time with your family in your new kitchen. 💗