SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

What are you doing Monday on Tuesday ...4224

I would break my neck.

They do have feet.

I am back on a 48-hour layover on my arm, so nothing is getting done. Tell me what is up with you:

Comments (37)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    last month
    last modified: last month

Nothing happening here. So much rain in the recent past. The rain should mean a decent season to come. looks like some possible snow here by tomorrow, back in the 50’s on Saturday.

Sherry

• Related Discussions

My Monday/Tuesday blooms!

Q

Comments (11)
    Kay, that seedling didn't bloom last year and I thought I had lost it. Seems it was sulking because I moved it...LOL!! Jean, she's really pretty when she starts the multiple blooms.. Sann777, she just started blooming so I expect that they all will improve.. EK and SE are favorites here!! Debra, I love Dancing With Julie. The last seedling will look better on the next blooms.. Thank you all!! Ellie
    ...See More

Picture catch up...Monday & Tuesday

Q

Comments (8)
    Karen, these are really nice. Since you have Monday and Tuesday here in one post I feel I get to pick a favorite from each day and thats just what I am going to do. I am picking Jordan Verhaert as my favorite from Mondays batch and Daybreak Fantasy as my favorite from Tuesday.
    ...See More

Monday & Tuesday Blooms

Q

Comments (15)
    Chris: BACK TO FUSCHIA I won on one of the Regions (can't remember which region)auction on the LA last year and was sent by the hybridizer Pat Cochenour last year. Got through our cold winter just fine. Just started blooming here. Debra: LIGHT OF THE WORLD always puts on a show. I know there is another one I've heard good things about is LITTLE LIGHT OF MINE also by Emmerich which does good too. I may end up dividing LIGHT OF THE WORLD this year. If I do, do you want some fans of it? Let me know via email. Julia
    ...See More

Monday's pics on Tuesday

Q

Comments (5)
    Mr. Simpson did a good job with Victoria. It's my favorite of this group. Outrageous is nice too, but I'm not overly crazy about that particular shade of pumpkin orange. Just a matter of taste. Still it sure shows up......Maryl
    ...See More
  • lindalana 5b Chicago
    last month

Building an ark

• indianagardengirl
    last month

Float it on down this way, lindalana!

• KW PNW Z8
    last month

In my area, we’ve been enjoying a run of warmer & sunny days! May hit 70 today but don’t envy us as tomorrow’s forecast is barely 50 & some showers! Yesterday I worked in front yard cleaning up my many coral bells & was surprised to see this one sending up flower stalks!

This little Polygala Kamniski / shrubby milkwort is in full bloom. I only have 2 little patches of it in front yard. The other patch is in top right of pic. I have a small patch in back yard which gets no sun & never blooms - I need to move it!

This succulent ground cover is sending up shoots too. I can’t find my tag for it - I’ve been breaking off pieces & spreading around the border plantings in front. Not a stonecrop I think as it is very ground hugging. It changes colors from silver gray to purple - a very nice contrast with the green of grass & the dwarf conifers in this border. Flowers are yellow - I do let it bloom but then do clean up the dead floppy flowers.

I’m off to back yard to check all the hosta - they are all tall pips now & my hardy fuschia are sending out leaves too!

Kathy

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    last month

what a creepy staircase!..how could that be up to code?..

old_dirt..love your owls..

Kathy..my coral bells aren’t pretty like yours..I’m giving them more time before I remove the ratty leaves..

we‘ve had nice days..the plants were popping up..

2 Fire Island photos..

Pineapple Upside Down Cake..

2 trillium photos..

then last night a downpour..the lowest area of the lot has standing water..today is about as flooded as I’ve ever seen..

next we have possible flurries and temperatures in the 30’s..so will my plants be encased in ice?..yikes..

no owls but I have crows..

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    last month

Old_dirt, I didn’t realize how many pots you maintain. Your Komodo Dragon looks to be thriving. Those owlettes are sure cute!

I can’t believe how many of you have lakes in your yards!

Usually, we’re lucky to get 20 mins. of rain, but one day it rained all day and all night. A nice, gentle rain most of the time. Wonderful! After several days of rain, hail, and snow we’re getting a break until the weekend when snow is forecasted.

Today I cleaned up one of my front beds. It has an old lilac in it, so I had a lot of suckers to cut down and some trimming up to do. There’s still lots left to make flowers this year. I got it all mulched.

I can see my first hosta breaking ground. Arc de Triomphe is next to the house, so it’s warmer than most of the others.

Thank goodness for the early bulbs and hellebores giving me some flowers!

I potted up some Elephant Ears and some Canna ‘Cleopatra’ that I’ve been wanting for years. Holding them in the basement until it warms up. And I planted the seeds for my tomatoes and peppers to get them started.

I’m also feeding a second stray cat. I have a feral I’ve been feeding for a year now, and this new orange cutie showed up just a week ago. It’s learning fast the way things work to get food. I can’t tell yet if it’s feral or knows people. If I can befriend it, I’ll take it somewhere to scan for a chip. But that’s going to take some time. It’s very skittish.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

Well, it’s Wednesday now so I’m behind everyone. No much going on here! It’s cold and rained all day yesterday and it’s now it’s starting to flurry …… can’t seem to make up its mind! My hellebores and Heucheras are waking up but I haven’t started cleaning them up yet. It has been too cold and wet for that. I’ve been planning for the bathroom remodel. We decided to take out the tub and just have a walk in shower. Yay! We also went and bought all the fixtures for the shower stall which includes a rain shower head. Since we are in WI, Kohler is local (About an hour’s drive) so we bought all Kohler fixtures. I think I have selected the paint color I want and made a decision to tile the room’s walls halfway up from the floor using white subway tile. My new neighborhood cat, “Blueie” hasn’t come around the last 2 days due to the weather. I have a plan to trap and neuter him with the aid of a neighbor! No more girlfriends for him! 👍🏽

debra

• bkay2000
    last month

Something tells me that "staircase" is just the frame for the staircase to come. If not, it would be the basis for many lawsuits from injured guests.

bkay

• KW PNW Z8
    last month

As forecast, today is chilly 50’s & off & on showers. I did take some progress pics of backyard hosta

June - The really tall leaf in center looks funny - like a feather

I’m excited to see this Stained Glass survived its first winter in ground. It was in a large pot for 2 summers but really needed to be in ground for better watering & light. I’m hoping it’ll be huge & cover all the space around it.

Halcyon just coming up in front of Bergenia. This is the reversion I dug out of the June last year.

Blue Mouse Ears next to dragon fly stake. Lime green NOID behind them. Clematis at top of picture & my Golden Gate hardy fuschia at right of picture.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    last month

Spring has sprung here and I've been busy re-potting/dividing some clumps that hadn't seen fresh medium for 4 years or more, it was high time that all got refreshed and while at it do some dividing in the process.

First one I tackled was a 10 gallon pot with '?? Business'. Why the question marks you ask... well it's like this. It started out as 'Risky Business' when it went in but over the intervening years it has shown a penchant for throwing green sports, not unlike 'Revolution', and those greenies I refer to as 'Finished Business'...get the pun... but until they leaf-out I won't be able to determine which is which so they're tagged as "Business" with a space above to write in Risky or Finished as the case may be...

The other one was a 'Regal Splendor' which I sorta quartered with my reciprocating saw. One went back into the ceramic pot it came from and the other were potted up for sale...

And there's plenty more candidates....

Pieter

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

Pieter, btw——how did the plant sale go???

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

I was just outside for a moment ( it’s quite miserable, cold wet windy) and noticed dicentra specticablis is pipping up. Also forsythia is getting yellow blooms.

My neighbors Virginia Bluebells are really coming up as well.

debra

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    last month

I love all the plants growing and blooming this time of year. Here daffodils, Helleborus and forcynthias are blooming. Something chomped my tulips to the ground and most of the crocus.

We just came back home after being away 2 months, we visited family in Florida and Texas. Nice places to visit in the winter. Now that we are home it is time to get busy getting the house and yard in shape.

For vacation storage I store my plants in clear totes or bags, so it was time to unbag and put the plants back were they belong.

Last year's geraniums I store in brown bags in the basement, now is time to plant them inside and get them growing again. I need to start tomato and marigold seeds.

We have a load of mulch which was delivered while we were gone. Starting to spread it. Busy times.

Here is a picture of a geranium just out of storage.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    last month

Debra, sale is this coming Saturday. Been busy sorting and pricing!

Pieter

• steve duggins
    last month

Late (as usual) I pulled in my 3 leafed out Hosta yesterday to save them from the hail. Woke up to slushy conditions. There's probably more I need to pull inside, but I thought it could wait a couple more days . . . Hate to see what everything else looks like later . . .

Luckily, we live at the top of a hill, so no flooding. Just waiting for everything to dry out so I can get back to cleaning things up.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    last month

I am late too. Beautiful start for many, sorry about all the rain for some.

Heavy winds with snow took out power in my area. Out from approx. 8:00pm Wednesday to 2:00 Thurs.

More damage to trees but not even close to the damage caused by last Aprils ice. I did not get nearly as much snow as they were calling for but wind was the issue. I am so tired of this lol!

• KW PNW Z8
    last month

You’ve had a rough time in this storm. I hope you’re now warm.

last month

Yes warm the whole time Kathy, thank you. Apart from a propane furnace I have an airtight woodstove and would never be without it. I use it all winter and at times like these I appreciate it all the more.

last month

Laurie..glad to know that you’re safe and warm..👍

we have a freeze warning this weekend..😩

I have plants coming up everywhere..

doesn’t a warm climate sound wonderful?..

last month

Thank you Ann. If the power had not come back when it did it would have been time to haul out the generator get fresh gas....

I really hope your forecast changes since so many of your plants are up and looking terrific. Will you try and cover with boxes or whatever you can come up with? I also hope that the standing water has a chance to drain before the freeze. We all have challenges no matter where we live it seems. A warm climate does sound heavenly about now though!

last month

Laurie..the water is shrinking but it won’t drain completely before the freeze..as you said..we all have challenges..
    with so many plants I gave up on the idea of covering them..🤷‍♀️
    several of my neighbors that hire out garden work have no leaf litter..crews were here on our nice days and removed it..my leaf litter is fairly thick and still here..my plants have insulation compared to my neighbors..I feel better that my plants have some protection..

• KW PNW Z8
    last month

Ann, your remark about leaf litter made me think about my yard. For years my gardening process was to clean up the fallen leaves from my maples & cut down dead perennial flower stalks in late fall. Something I read made me realize I was a ”too tidy gardener”. All that soil enrichment and wild bird food I was tossing out not to mention perennial protection! The only pre-winter cleanup I still do is hosta leaf mush after the first hard frost. I just can’t leave it as here in my wet winters it offers safe harbor to so many slugs & snails. Now, in early days of spring, I start clearing out places where the maple leaves are still too thick on ground or covering herbaceous plants too deeply. Soon I’ll be spreading mulch around most shrubs & perennials & any decidious leaf debris that’s left will disappear. My point is, I think your practice of leaving the leaf litter alone is a good one. It feeds your soil and protects your plants. Your setting is woodsy and natural & it’s easier to pick up leaf litter that’s too thick here & there or not wanted as you play in your yard through the spring & early summer.

last month

Kathy..you’re so right!..my leaves are a great asset for my garden..my climate is colder than yours..I need more spring protection..fallen leaves do look natural here..fortunately not cutting back my hostas in fall doesn’t increase my slugs and snails..after it’s warm when I clean I grab handfuls of leaves..I rip them with my hands and let them drop..it looks neat and is a healthy mulch..

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    last month

Oh, it is spring here and my garden is happy.

last month

utog..beautiful 💕..I can’t wait to catch up..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

I can’t wait to catch up either! I did see my first hosta pip today…..good ole’ Lancifolia is ahead of everyone this year!

debra

• KW PNW Z8
    last month

@undertheoaksgardener7b Is that Solomon’s Seal on the right in your second pic? Where are you that your hosta is so far along? In the south? And your trees so sprouting in green? Azalea is blooming here & flowering trees all in full color but green of leaves just starting.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    last month

Zone 7b to 8a in central NC. The tree leaves are just emerging. The azaleas have been going for at least 1 week.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    last month

Yes, that is a non-variegated Solomon’s seal. Red legs or ruby legs name.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    last month

Ruby Slippers Solomon’s Seal.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    last month

I wish that I could just go to the garden center dressed just like I am in the garden.

I have been AFC for a couple of days. (AFC away from keyboard) just kind of hiding in my new chair. But while I am there, I am thinking about all the things I need to do. Makes me need a nap.

I am ready to get going again. Anybody still in the snow can come on down.

My hostas have been going full blast. Some are just piping, and others are starting to fill out nicely. They will all be in the greenhouse soon as I think that this is a hotter sun this year.

I wrote this earlier:

I now have geese. They jump the fence and like something growing in the lawn, Wait let me put that right. I now have geese and have to watch everywhere I walk now. Thanks guys. I liked them better over the fence. Luckly, we know these geese. They have been living out there for about 5-6 years now. They were even swimming around the girl in the lake but had no more information than that "she was quackers".

It rained all day yesterday Wednesday. I took a hand spray bottle out with me and I had fed the hostas on Tuesday, When I got out late yesterday evening I think some of them doubled in size. I am very pleased with this season, so far.

I wrote that yesterday and headed outside. During the last couple of months, I had fallen through both of my outside recliners. I had planned to remake the canvas but right now is not a good time. I bought 2 new ones. I had missed a good friend.

I have to go buy bird seed.

I hope everyone the best day today. Good luck on the sale Pieter and kudos to using a reciprocating saw.

Stay warm and enjoy counting pips.

• old_dirt 6a
    last month

Paula - Your hostas are looking great! I sometimes do go out to stores dressed in my garden attire (dirty bib overalls & quilted flannel shirt). Of course my DW will walk way ahead or behind me, says she'll meet me in the car. lol

There was an old comedian, Godfrey Cambridge that used to tell the story about tourism in Florida. They said "COME ON DOWN TO FLORIDA", he said he went down there and they weren't even expecting him. So if I come knocking on your door, remember you invited me. lol

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

Paula===> be careful! I don’t want t you to get hurt! Landing on a tailbone or hip or other could be disastrous for us gardeners! Bones break too easily….. am happy you bought new recliners! Enjoy them in peace!

debra

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    last month

I went to the fairgrounds with my MIL to shop the garden clubs azalea sale. To co-opt an old movie quote, I think we need a bigger yard (instead of a boat).

Here are some hosta photos from garden today. Amalia, container with World Cup and Virginia Reel, Hudson Bay, and lovely Chodai Ginyo.

• KW PNW Z8
    last month

utog - that container is very pretty! I think most of us need a bigger yard! 😁

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    last month

Jade Cascade with Dark Star and Regal Splendor for first 2, ferns unfurling with azalea, and First Dance with Luna Moth.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor