SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_tt

April 2024 - What are you reading?

kathy_t
last month

I'm about halfway through The Good Sister by Sally Hepworth. IMO, it's not top-ten material, but I'm enjoying it. How about you - what are you reading?

Comments (114)

• vee_new
    19 days ago

Ann, the only 'bargains' I look out for are books or old prints. I'm not interested in clothes (even new) or bric-a-brac. Perhaps it is coming from a Post War rationed generation where nothing was wasted, clothes were patched/darned, even sweaters/ jerseys were unravelled for the wool. I remember my first school shoe-bag was made using the good bit of the leg of dad's old grey flannels (remember those?).

We do have a couple of charity shops in this small town, although others have closed from lack of customers. Most of the stuff is pretty moth-eaten. There will never be any Gucci or Prada items lurking on the racks.

I should add that my family were never 'poor' just that I had a very economical mother!

• yoyobon_gw
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

Vee.........Lol ! Yes, the New Englanders describe their weather as " 9 months of winter and 3 months of poor sledding " !

Although I live in New York state, we have had some serious snowfalls in the past .

Here's one from several years ago.....about 4 feet deep overnight !

• Related Discussions

April Reading. Tell us What you have Enjoyed . . .or Not.

Q

Comments (87)
    I don't particularly like The Daughter of Time as a detective novel, although I did enjoy reading it as I have with all of Tey's Books. I think it's an interesting exercise in research and deduction, but I don't really understand the obsession many people seem to have with the mystery of the princes in the tower. I am far more interested in the reasons why and the mechanisms though which some royals became or were made into villains or heroes by their successors or by the people after they were dead, or even by changing times, and The Daughter of Time gave me some insight into that. Examples include Richard III being painted blacker than he perhaps was for centuries and then little by little becoming to be seen as less bad or even great (depending on the historian), or Richard I being made into the heroic, almost saintly figure of Good King Richard Lionheart during his lifetime and remaining so for centuries after his death, and in modern times being seen as less good or even bad because of attitudes having changed.
    ...See More

What are you reading? April 2023 Edition

Q

Comments (79)
    Just finished our latest book club read, The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt. My brain hurts and some of it was uncomfortable to read. It was written before the run-up to the 2016 election and all that has happened since so I wonder if he would hold now to some of the things he wrote. Tonight is our author meeting and he will get asked that for sure. I am no longer a fast reader, but I'm also reading things that require more of my deep attention and going back repeatedly to really understand. I want to read Tim Urban's What's Our Problem but doubt I'll get to it anytime soon. Gosh it's been decades(?) since I read The Shell Seekers and can't remember anything beyond being totally engrossed in the story.
    ...See More

What are you reading? January 2024 Edition

Q

Comments (95)
    My sister just sent me her list of books she is planning on purchasing. (She shares with me). She likes more fantasy/science fiction than I do, we both seem to like historical fiction, stories with strong females, I like biographies more than she does (added the last book to her list). Any feedback on any of these titles: Ten Birds that changed the world The tattooist of Auschwitz The Giver of Stars Stars of Alabama The Book of Lost Friends The Once and Future Witches Stolen: the astonishing odyssey of Five boys along the reverse underground RR The Four Winds The Keeper of Lost Things Love, Life and Elephants The Last Bookshop in London The Life of Pi The Girl of the Limberlost The Poisonwood Bible House in the Cerulean Sea The Island of Sea Women Lisa Tan’s Circle of Women The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store The Magnificent Lives of Marjorie Post
    ...See More

January 2024 - What are you reading now?

Q

Comments (88)
    Just finished Lucy Foley's The Guest List. I don't usually read or enjoy thrillers, so thriller fans might want to ignore my comments. I thought it seemed pretty unoriginal, and some of the scenes were a bit of a stretch. For example, when a male character is confronted by a female character outdoors on a dark, stormy night, he complains that she is shining her phone flashlight in his face so that she can see him, but he can't see her. Umm... we know from the previous paragraph that he also has his phone out with flashlight engaged, so what's the problem, really? Anyway, this is a book club selection and I don't know quite what we will discuss except details like these. I could be wrong....
    ...See More
  • vee_new
    19 days ago

yoyo, I suppose you are used to getting in 'supplies' and are ready for power outages. Here we only need about 2 ins of snow before everything closes down and we wring our hands in despair and cry "What happened to Global Warming?"

• ginny12
    19 days ago

Well, I am a New Yorker (born and raised) but a New Englander for many years, only a few minutes from the New Hampshire border. I must rise to the defense of New England and its weather. To prove it, here's a photo of my backyard on a lovely spring day a couple of years ago. :)

• annpanagain
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

Vee, we actually were poor!

Once my father was demobbed after the War, he took a low paying job and as mothers were expected to stay at home and raise children, all her hard won expertise as a shorthand typist and pianist was wasted.

I was used to second hand clothes and never lost my taste for good quality used ones even when I could afford to buy new cheap brands.

We have a good variety of charity shops and they even have designer brands at selected outlets where I have bought top quality (or good faked) handbags for gifts. An advantage of having some very wealthy people living here who are generous with discards! One new bag still had a $20 note in it for luck which I gave to the charity of course.

I prefer to use a shopping buggy with a zipped compartment at the back for safety.

Some women attempted to rob me on a bus in London so I don't carry a handbag now. They pushed me between them and cut into my bag but I thought something was off and moved away to go up to the top deck where one tried to follow but left when I held out the cut bag to show her!

• ginny12
    19 days ago

That is horrible, Annpan. I’m so sorry that happened to you. It also happened to my dear elderly aunt in Brooklyn. Three people crowded her into a corner of the grocery store, supposedly asking her an innocent question. When she got to the checkout, she found her purse slit on the bottom and her wallet with her week’s cash and credit cards gone.

• annpanagain
    18 days ago

Ginny, I was lucky that I got away before my money was taken as I had just withdrawn a large amount to pay for a last minute tour booking! This made me more careful after that episode.

• Kath
    18 days ago

I listened to Shiloh by Shelby Foote. I liked him very much in his interviews on the Ken Burns' programme The Civil War, and this was an interesting format for a book. The events of the Battle of Shiloh were told one chapter at a time by different participants, of differing ranks and on both sides. Many of the well-known generals were talked about by the men, and their speeches reported.

• Carolyn Newlen
    17 days ago

I'm reading Scot in a Trap by Catriona McPherson. It is not what I expected, being ultra modern in manner, speech, and mores, but I will continue it.

• annpanagain
    17 days ago

Carolyn, I have never read any Barry Maitland book and not heard of him either although I looked him up and found he is highly regarded! Not a cosy writer though, I think?

• ginny12
    15 days ago

A few posts above, I mentioned watching The Monuments Men, not a very good movie. I recommended a great book, Florentine Art Under Fire, written by a monuments man and art expert, Frederick Hartt, soon after the war. I read it about fifteen years ago. The post inspired me to re-read the book, which I'm doing now. Just as good as I remembered it.

I had bought a used copy for myself after I read the library copy back then. It was not expensive, maybe $20. Yesterday I looked online at bookfinder.com where I buy used books and was amazed that the movie seems to have had a bump-up effect on the price of the book. A hard cover with dust jacket is now worth between $80 and $150! So I'm feeling more benign towards that movie, :)

• yoyobon_gw
    15 days ago

Just began reading The Last Mrs. Parrish ... a strange story to be sure !

Does anyone else keep a reading log ? I decided to start one this year and was shocked to find that so far I have read 12 novels !

I suspect Carolyn has read at least twice that number ! :0)

• Carolyn Newlen
    14 days ago

Yoyo, I've only read 60, but then I don't do much else. After all, what is retirement and advancing age for? Right now, though, between rains, I am chopping grass out of the perennial bed. I don't get along very fast at that, and ever since I saw Beatrix Potter's flower beds at Hillside Farm last fall, my little effort is double discouraging.

Ann, the Maitland book was not a cosy but it wasn't too tense, either.

Last night I finished Scot in a Trap which not only didn't have a beginning, it didn't have an ending either. It's enough to make one rethink Catriona McPherson. I've now begun Riviera Gold, the next in line in the Mary Russell-Sherlock Holmes series by Laurie R. King.

• yoyobon_gw
    14 days ago

Carolyn......"only 60 " ! You are the reading champion of 2024 for sure !!

• Carolyn Newlen
    13 days ago

It's what I do!

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    13 days ago

I too keep a reading log. I've read 8 novels so far this year. My "For Later" shelf on my library's website currently has 215 titles awaiting my attention. Obviously, I spend too much time reading ABOUT books instead of reading them. It's a curse.

• yoyobon_gw
    12 days ago

I've just reserved a new release : The Sicilian Inheritance by Jo Piazza. It has good reviews and appears to be a book I'll enjoy.

• Carolyn Newlen
    11 days ago

I'm reading another in the Andrea Penrose 19th century England series called Murder at Queen's Landing. The protagonists are getting serious about each other as well as solving murders.

• msmeow
    11 days ago

Holly by Stephen King

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Oh Donna - I'm interested in Holly, so I'll be eager to hear your opinion.

• annpanagain
    11 days ago

After watching the TV series of Death in Provence I requested any book by M.L. Longworth featuring the characters. I have only been able to borrow Murder on the Ile Sordou and have just started it.

A lot of background of all the story characters so far up to Chapter Six also descriptions of the clothes and food but no murder yet!

I am gradually reading my diary for 1999 to check on a purchase I made around that time. I was such a different person then! Married, working and living in a flat in a country town in the UK.

I cooked then, quite interesting food apparently. It was more rewarding when there were two.

It is almost like reading a biography of another woman!

• rouan
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I’ve read several books but since I don’t have my reading log handy will only mention the latest ones. All, except the NF were rereads. Bookshops and Bonedust by Travis Baldree, as well as Legends and Lattes (Travis Baldree again) were the latest. I also indulged in an audiobook of The Shuddering City by Sharon Shinn. The narrator wasn’t bad, although she didn’t pronounce the name of a sectioon of the city the way I would so it threw me off every time she said it. The name is Quatrefoil. I would prounounce it as quat-re-foil, she said cat-re-foil.

The nonfiction book I read is The Alchemy of Herbs by Rosalee de la Foret.

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Last night I finished reading Tom Lake by Ann Patchett. I began the book with mixed feelings. Knowing it was largely a story about a summer repertory theater group, I didn't expect to like it much. That's because I often find novels and films about theater and actors to have an air of unwarranted self-importance. (How's that for a reader bias?) On the other hand, knowing the setting was mostly in and around Traverse City, Michigan piqued my interest. (I have visited friends there and have tasted those marvelous fresh cherries.) My conclusion? It was a pretty darned good book. I'd recommend it.

Strangely, I kept being surprised by the main character, Lara, because I felt like she was Ann Patchett's alter ego and her actions and attitudes did not always fit my image of the author. (Listen to me - as if I actually know the author - ha!) The book is written in the first person, which I think partially led to my feeling that she represented Ann. Also, I am aware from an interview I listened to that Ann Patchett regularly spends time in Traverse City, so that might also have led me to feel that way.

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I just realized that I forgot to share my opinion of The Good Sister by Sally Hepburn, the book I was reading at the beginning of this April discussion. (God forbid that you miss out on one of my opinions.) Here it is: I really liked this book. It's about a pair of fraternal twins who experienced emotional abuse from their single mother during childhood and who have stuck together in a close and mutually dependent relationship into adulthood. The book was odd and at times a bit hard to believe, but it kept me interested and I really loved two of the characters.

• vee_new
    11 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Kathy, please keep your opinions coming, they are always worth reading!

I have just finished The Gardener by Salley Vickers. It's about a woman/artist who buys an old house with her rather sophisticated sister, deep in the Shropshire countryside (think the Welsh borders) and how she settles in with the villagers . . . it only took her a few chapters not 40+ years! Lots of 'nature' references and the planting of a magnificent veggie and flower garden and finding her 'true' self.

I now have a date with Mr Darcy; although I feel I might get on better with Mr Bingley. He seems a nice 'open' chap with no time for brooding.

• msmeow
    10 days ago

Kathy, maybe I’m just not in the mood for Stephen King, but I am having trouble staying interested in Holly.

Donna

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Well I'm interested to know THAT about it for sure, Donna. No problem. It's only one of the 215 on my TBR list. I can work around it.

• Carolyn Newlen
    9 days ago

Good thinking, Kathy. I'm reading Ngaio Marsh's first Roderick Allyn mystery, A Man Lay Dead, published in 1934, before even I was born.

• ginny12
    9 days ago

I'll be interested in hearing what you think about A Man Lay Dead, Carolyn. I just finished a lot of her books, including that one. Hope you'll post your thoughts.

I just read Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford for my book club. First meeting I've been able to attend this year. Didn't love the book. I'm not a fan of historical fiction as it's misleading in so many ways. But I know I'm in the minority with that opinion.

• yoyobon_gw
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

I finished The Last Mrs. Parrish and I cannot say I would recommend it . I am by no stretch of the definition a "prude" but there were just too many offensive scenes in the story that involved debasing women. The overall story arc was engaging and fairly predictable but I became uncomfortable when the husband became a full-on sociopath.

• annpanagain
    9 days ago

I have read some of the Ngaio Marsh books and possess Spinsters in Jeopardy as I like reading the description of the train journey as a reminder of my travels in France. Good story too!

• ginny12
    9 days ago

Annpan, Have you ever been to New Zealand? I know Australia is not exactly around the corner but it is a lot closer than the US or Europe. Reading Ngaio Marsh--and watching Brokenwood Mysteries--made me curious about New Zealand.

• annpanagain
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Ginny, no, I am in Western Australia which is a long way from NZ. From Perth, where I live, to Christchurch is 3138 miles!

I haven't been out of the State for years and rarely went to the Eastern States either, other than for business reasons.

I preferred to go to Bali, Singapore, Hong Kong and Europe for holidays.

• ginny12
    9 days ago

What wonderful travel destinations, Annpan! So glad you got there. My foreign travel has been all to Europe tho I think my passport will have to stay in the drawer now. I do take a 3000 mile journey a couple of times a year to family in California. That’s far enough.

• Carolyn Newlen
    8 days ago

Several years ago my daughter and I had a three-week trip to both islands of New Zealand. It was a fabulous trip. I learned that I love pavlova.

• ginny12
    8 days ago

Carolyn, Was there one memory orone special experience you would share?

• vee_new
    8 days ago

Wow all this distant travel! I go weak at the knees if I leave our small town and have only been about 20-30 miles to the nearest city to visit the hospital there since before the pandemic. DH's idea of a holiday is to carry on much as before but just to do less . . . My passport ran out in the 1980's and the last time I went on a 'plane I think there was an open cockpit and we had to wear leather flying helmets.

• annpanagain
    8 days ago

I am glad I did travel when I had the chance. I can't do much these days because of health problems.

My biggest problem in those days was grubby clothes. You either lost relaxation or sightseeing time washing them or carried soiled items around, preferably in a separate bag.

• yoyobon_gw
    8 days ago

I had a friend who thought the solution to that problem was to bring all her old underwear on her trip and throw it away after wearing it.

It's not the worst idea she's ever had, but I would say it has to be in the " Top Ten" !

• vee_new
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

Annpan and yoyo, some years ago US cousins took a hike over a couple of weeks walking from North to South Wales via Offa's Dyke path calling in on us for a few days at the end of the trek. They both carried enormously heavy rucksacks, muddy boots hanging from the straps and full of dirty laundry. I, of course offered to put the stuff in the washing machine, but "No we couldn't put you to so much trouble." So I suggested in that case they should put it into the machine themselves. But again "No" they insisted on taking everything back to the US unwashed and probably, by the time they left, very smelly.

• msmeow
    8 days ago

I love to travel! Hope to be able to later this year after we recover from moving for the first time in 32 years, 😁 Hubby wants to go to Australia, but that’s probably a few years away.

Still working on Holly. It’s due in a couple of days, so I hope I can finish it.

Donna

• annpanagain
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

Vee, some other people don't want to go far. I met a couple in a Welsh seaside town who go there every year for a holiday they are comfortable with. They were a bit defensive telling me so I imagine they get some disapproval!

One of my sisters always took Wimbledon fortnight off from work and happily stayed at home with my mother, watching the tennis matches on TV while tucking into strawberries and cream.

Whatever floats your boat! However sailing is not one of my desires. I have had rough trips when relocating around countries in the 1960s and would not go on a pleasure cruise even though several friends do nothing else now they have retired. Apart from flying, I like solid ground under my feet.

• Carolyn Newlen
    7 days ago

Ann, strawberries and cream sounds good!

Yoyo, I've read that throw-away hint before, and I always wonder where they get all that old worn-out underwear.

Ginny, one special part of the NZ trip was the time we had in Paihia in the Bay of Islands. It was very pretty, and our hotel room ran from back to front of the building so we had an ocean view right from a small front balcony. There were major sand dunes, and part of the beach was a listed highway for driving. The bus driver took us about 50 miles down it driving 65 mph. It was great fun, sort of like being a teenager again. Really, everything was interesting--Maori stuff, different trees and vegetation, thermal pools, beautiful flowers, glaciers, lakes, movie settings, and sheep. Lots of sheep.

• ginny12
    7 days ago

My mother-in-law, a woman I dearly loved, told me that underwear tip but...not my style. I bring enough for the trip. It takes very little space. I do wash blouses in the sink with Woolite when traveling. Used to come in convenient, single-use packets but they don't make them anymore. Used the last one at my son's last Christmas.

Carolyn, Your trip sounds amazing. I can't imagine doing 65 on sand, wow. And New Zealand sounds so beautiful! Another world. So glad you got to go.

• msmeow
    7 days ago

Kathy, I’m nearly done with Holly. I think I’ll have to skim through the last 150 pages, since it’s getting more gory.

I’ll try not to give any spoilers. We know early on who the bad guys are. At first he hints at what they are doing, and as the book progresses he fills in more details. Holly is hired at the beginning of the story to find a missing young woman, and as her investigation progresses she suspects that other missing people are connected.

As I said before, early on I had trouble staying interested, and now that I’m near the end I will have to skip the gory parts. There is a long preview of his next book, but I probably won’t read it.

Donna

• kathy_t
    Original Author
    7 days ago

Donna - I appreciate you reporting back in with those details. I believe I can remove Holly from my TBR list without regret.

• Kath
    6 days ago

We had a three-week holiday to NZ in Jan/Feb this year and loved it. It's not too far to fly although our flight left from Melbourne at 11:30 pm and arrived in Auckland at 5:30 am local time, so not much rest that night. We have been lucky enough to travel extensively in Europe and the US, and will be doing another trip in September, going to Spain for the first time, then flying to Iceland and cruising back to Barcelona. I've just started a quick Spanish course to gain a few words for the trip.

• vee_new
    6 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

That will be some trip Kath. Hopefully the weather will be kind to you.

OT slightly. I just read that the writer C J Samson has died. He wrote several historical books set at the time of the Reformation in England and 'featuring' a crook-backed lawyer, Shardlake. The obit' in the paper mentioned almost nothing about the author but much about the plots of the books.

• Carolyn Newlen
    5 days ago

I'm sorry to hear that, Vee. I have enjoyed his books.

• Kath
    5 days ago

I enjoyed his books too, except I found the last one to be over-long and in need of some editing. He was only 71.