SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amwellein

column nightmare

amwellein
3 years ago

Greetings,
We purchased this home because of it’s location. It needs a lot of work in and out. It desperately wants to be a colonial but is far from it. So we are going to move away from that approach. We will modernize it as much as we can (remove the senseless shutters, update door and remove the ornamental cornice, add more minimal black windows, landscape, and pant the brick to name a few). The main issue is the columns. They are way off from centering on the door and almost every option I look at crests more imbalance because they way they overlap the windows and door frame. We have explored ways to try to design an asymmetric door, add lighting/house number/ large planter to one side, add transom widow, even explored adding two additional columns but everything end up still being just a little off, enough to be disturbing and poorly designed. Unfortunately the home is a split level and the doorway is boxed in making it impossible to shift. Even then, the columns still overlap the windows on one side. Why would anyone design a home like this is beyond me. I would love to remove them completely but it’s very expensive and we have about $500,000 that needs to be be done to update the guts inside and small addition. Our architect hasn’t found a satisfactory solution and just recommends leaving them as is because it’s so costly to fix. We don’t have too much space in our budget to fix it without cutting into other requirements. Thoughts?

Comments (54)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio