SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matteddy

Anyone Have Experience with Forno Gas/Dual Fuel Ranges?

matteddy
3 years ago

Hi -- after an exhaustive research deep dive into every pro-style 36" range on the planet, exactly TWO seem to fit our exact needs: the Monogram and the Forno Capriasca. (Our needs are: dual fuel, six equal burners, no touch screens or other fancy tech, big oven.)

The Monogram is priced towards the high end for the class. And while it's a reputable brand, there are lots of quality complaints on sites like this one. It seems to be a step below brands like Wolf or BlueStar (which are great but don't have equal burners -- an OCD pet peeve of mine).

The Forno is about half the price -- $3.5K or so. From what I can gather, they're a Canadian company that manufactures in China. The specs are nearly identical to the Monogram's (the burners are actually a little hotter). Obviously the quality will be lower. But I'm wondering: how much lower? Are they just total pieces of sh** that will constantly break? Or are they fairly robust? Is their customer/warranty service good? Are they easy to source parts for and repair? Does anyone know anything about the company? Their website seems decent, but are they really reputable? How do their stoves actually perform?

Fornos seem to be sold everywhere -- including Lowe's and the Home Despot -- but I can't find any reviews or customer feedback.

If anyone has actual experience with the brand, your insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Happy cooking, everyone.

Comments (190)

• Matthew Fortier
    last year

I can sometimes hear the exterior fan on after a cook... But I have very sensitive ears so.....

• HU-341482377
    last year

how does anyone get a forno repair tech??none in arizona

• Related Discussions

For anyone debating between Wolf Dual Fuel vs. All Gas Range

Q

Comments (5)
    Madeline616, I use the convection features all the time. The point of the third element is to keep the temperature more even. The Wolf Df actually has conv roast, broil and bake modes along with straight convection. I really haven't used the straight convection much and someone recently explained to me on this forum that the straight convection mode is used when the oven is full. The dual fans also helps with this. I especially like the convection roast which directs a little more heat from the top and with the convection is more drying which makes a crispy chicken, but also tends to brown things better. I like conv bake for pies, cookies and quiches. For cakes , muffins and breads I use the regular bake. There are some bakers on this forum who do use conv bake for breads and cakes. Using the convection is somewhat of a learning process but I have found you can teach an old dog new tricks!
    ...See More

Anyone have Bosch dual fuel slide in range?

Q

Comments (9)
    I don't have a Bosh but I do have a duel fuel, here are my few words of advice: Other than the normal, it cooks faster and cools down faster deal, I've found that when cooking spaghetti noodles or something that tends to stick out of the pan, you need to use the burner that is a tad smaller than your pan or you're food will get burnt on the ends sticking out. Other than that, I love my gas cooking. I grew up with it and it doens't scare me at all. I'm still getting use to my oven. It cooks a little on the slow side, so when things say 8 - 10 min, I cook almost the full 10.... but thats okay. I rarely use my "speed" cooking, just forget about it. Plus mine tends to be a little loud because of the fan running. Hope you enjoy! Christy
    ...See More

Anyone have experience with Verona dual fuel ranges

Q

Comments (3)
    I've had a 36" Verona dual fuel single oven range since April and so far, I love it. The fan comes on as soon as you put the oven on and stays on until the oven cools down. It can be a bit annoying. But that's my only complaint so far. From what I've read, most of the bigger ranges have fan noise so it comes with the territory, I guess. I haven't invested in an oven thermometer yet but so far it seems to be accurate. I have no issues with quality--it's a beautiful appliance that has functioned well since the day I got it.
    ...See More

Does anyone have any experience with hallman 48" dual fuel ranges

Q

Comments (9)
    @Richelle Saunders Augustine The install was done by MyTy Appliances (they install for Mountainland Design, which is a local high end appliance store). My kitchen was brand new, so wiring etc was done during the renovation by an electrician...yes, MyTy hooked everything up to gas and electrical. I think that my tech's name was Skyler, he knew everything about this range. Hope this helps! PS. I still love my range :) My ovens had to be calibrated (Hallman will tell you that most likely you need to do this...ask about it when ordering), MyTy didn't want to do it, but I found IFix through Hallman's info, they got it done.
    ...See More
  • Paul Kempa
    last year
    last modified: last year

Ive been trying with no luck. The knobs get up to 170 degrees F when the oven is on. Door is sealed correctly. I was told they are sending me child proof knobs. It seems like a design flaw

• Kyle E
    last year

We took the leap of faith and bought the 48” all gas stainless range/ oven, dishwasher dishwasher, and 60” fridge 6 months ago.

We love the simplicity of these appliances. As mentioned above, the gas range simmer burners run slightly hot, but doesnt bother me, I know I can adjust it if it becomes an issue. The gas ovens function great, and tenperature is accurate.

The dishwasher might be the most underrated of the bunch- we love it! so far our favorite we’ve owned. 3 racks, great layout, and cleans the dishes well. even the framework its built on is better than the dozens of others Ive installed.

The 60” fridge was a project to get installed, but is a total statement piece. again its simple, but love it! The benefit we found is the increased size of the freezer. We hated our french door freezers!

Overall thrilled with the appliances, and with the pricing, we had to try them, and glad we did.

• Mindy Trammell
    last year

Kyle your kitchen looks great!! This is the package we almost bought but kept going back and forth bc I was worried how good a range for $3k can be in a 48 inch.. also read some bad reviews on the fridge. We still haven’t pulled the trigger on our appliance but are now leaning towards Zline bc some of our friends have it and have been happy. We are literally like weeks away from ordering it. Yes.. I’ve read bad reviews on them too. Keeping our fingers crossed we make the right decision. Where did you get your package from?

• PRO
    Arden Hills Estates
    last year

I have read many comments about ZLINE not being responsive to repair needs and questions. I might take these reviews as biased....buttt.....I see zlines response and they look canned. Like "we have to respond " but we still will just keep doing what we do.

• HU-450478226
    last year

Our oven is terrible at keeping the set temp. No help in the manual so thought I would come on here to see if anyone else is having issues. it can go up or down by 100'. impossible it bake in.

• Matthew Fortier
    last year

Clearly there's something wrong with your unit. Contact customerservice ASAP

• Kat Berkery
    last year

Are you using your own in oven thermometer? The one that came with the unit is pretty useless.

• marynjoynt
    last year

My Husband and I did a remodel of our kitchen and purchased the 36" Galiano Range which was installed a couple of weeks ago. We converted to propane gas with no problem. Burners work well, but we have experienced inconsistency with getting the oven to higher temperatures. I recently purchased an oven thermometer and plan to monitor the temps. I have also experience black soot and smoke when using the oven. I consider this break-in but also caution that there could be a problem with the propane conversion.

• Fernando C
    last year

@marynjoynt, I noticed that you placed the pot filler on the side, how is that working out?

We ordered a 48 inch forno dual fuel range and hood. We wanted to have a pot filler in the center but we would have to install it without the stainless steel backsplash.

Anybody owners have any thoughts on how it would look without the backsplash?

thx

• Susan G
    last year

I haven’t gotten the replacement knobs - it’s more the oven door and top piece that get pretty hot on mine. I haven’t called yet mostly because everyone has said customer service says that’s normal. I guess there’s a reason this is half the price of similar looking models. Still happy with it though. Wouldn’t have it if I had little kids.

• Gary Sayat
    last year

@jenlip I have received my replacement knobs and yes it is much better imo..I had emailed forno Iand they sent them out pretty quickly, great customer service btw.

• Fernando C
    11 months ago

Question for anybody who had the Forno hood; Does it feel low at the recommended height?

We purchased the 48 dual fuel range and hood and getting it installed next week, but I feel like the warming tray and the hood height where it would be closest to my head will be too low and obstruct the cooking area.

If you use the stainless steel backsplash, it looks like the front height of the hood closest to your head is at around 64 inches. Since we are planning to put tile on our backsplash instead, we are thinking of moving the hood up so the closest part to your head is around 70 inches and still within the 30-36 inch gab between range and hood.

Any thoughts if the default height feels low?

thanks!

• Matthew Fortier
    11 months ago

Not at all. Fits great! The angled hood helps with your concerns

• Fernando C
    11 months ago

Still finishing our kitchen remodel but the range is now in. we decided to not use the stainless steel backsplash and put tile instead so this gives you an idea of what that looks like.

• Matthew Fortier
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

You got great taste!

• Paul Kempa
    11 months ago

Not a Fan of Forno. There are no low settings for the burners. It seems to be hot and hotter. The thermometer isnt acurate. can be as much as 50 degrees off on any given day. If you have the oven on dont touch the stove control knobs. You will burn your hands. I have temps going above 170 degrees on the handles. It looks good but functions equivalent to a cheap builder model.

• Always Sweet Custom Confections
    10 months ago

Do you have duel fuel or just gas? Im wondering if the hot knobs is a gas oven issue or a problem for all of them? Looking at the 36” Caprissca duel fuel with french doors. Anyone have this?

• HU-358663395
    10 months ago

I bought the Forno wine frig and it looks great and worked great for a few month. Now it will not cool. They have sent a tech out twice and the have not been able to fix it . Last email I got from them they said to return it to the retailer . The retailer said I need to work with Forno. I tried calling Forno but you can not get anyone on the phone.

I am not sure what to do now other then warn people to stay away from this company becouse they do not stand behind their product. Buyer beware

• Fernando C
    10 months ago

@Always Sweet Custom Confections, I got the dual fuel and they do get a little warm but we have not had an issue with them.

• Fernando C
    10 months ago

I posted a couple of videos about the Forno 48" products we got. Check them out if you want a closer look on these:

Forno 48" Dual Fuel Oven Range • FFSGS6156-48

https://youtu.be/0EBNrUBe6OY

Forno 48″ Savona Range Hood • 1200 CFM • FRHWM5029-48HB

https://youtu.be/NMYMAbbHfSs

Forno 24" 1.2 cu. ft. Microwave Drawer in Stainless Steel • FMWDR3000-24

https://youtu.be/J2CiFpNIf-w

• Susan G
    10 months ago

@always sweet custom… we have the all gas model. I wouldn’t think that has anything to do with the hot doors/knobs though.

• Fernando C
    10 months ago

I made a video on how hot they get when used at 350 degrees for an hour... https://youtu.be/qCK4y1HXSKo

• cheriskop
    10 months ago

I have an issue with burning things in the oven. The temp seems to be hotter than what the dial thermometer reads, so I put an oven thermometer inside. The oven seems to be keeping the correct temperature, but even on low bake my cakes are burning in less time baked than in my previous oven. Any suggestions?

• Tovi Butcher
    10 months ago

Has anyone filed a law suit against forno for the doors and knobs getting so hot and burning us? Ovens SHOULD NOT get hot on the outside, nor should the knobs. how can you cook multipel dishes and not be able to use the knobs becusse the oven is too hot? Think i will atart this law suits.

• Gary Sayat
    10 months ago

Email the company they will send you new ones..I have my new ones on and they are perfect.

• Tovi Butcher
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Gary i did and sent them a video. The smaller oven will not even turn off. Smoke is coming out of it b/c it is so hot. Can’t even touch outside or knobs. Waiting on their reply

• Gary Sayat
    10 months ago

Tovi, hope you get sorted out..sounds dangerous.

• MARMI MRM
    9 months ago

@Fernando C thanks for the videos; very helpful. Two questions for you (or anyone!) - what's the griddle like? And are the oven temperatures in the convection oven true to what you set? (I'm coming from a digital display and am a little nervous about that for baking...)

@Always Sweet Custom Confections I'm curious if you've bought anything yet and if you're happy??

Thanks!

• Fernando C
    9 months ago

Hey all, regarding the knobs getting very hot. We did run into this when having the oven at the max of 500 degrees. I was able to order new knobs for free by emailing Forno and I got new ones within a week and they are much better. I made a video regarding this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7uY18ZfP2I

• ronald martin
    9 months ago

@Matthew Fortier... which model did you get (and is it the 48-inch version)? The price point and looks of the Galiano appeal to me. Long shot, but did you work at Systron Donner? LOL!

• Matthew Fortier
    9 months ago

I got the 48" Dual Fuel model FFSGS618748. And no, not me... LOL

• Mark Schussler
    7 months ago

Does anyone know how to contact them for awrvice, i emailed them and no resppnse. injuat reciwvwd it last week and one if rhe knobs is broken

• Tamara
    7 months ago

@Mark Schussler, for service you can email service@distinctive-online.com. Or call 1-800-361-0799

• PRO
    Ramos&Ramos Home
    7 months ago

We just our Forno gas range/oven and love the speed and even heating. However, it does require special cleaning and the grates are suuuuper heavy. Haven't used the oven yet. but will post outcome after. Part of the start-up process requires you to turn on the broiler at the highest heat for 30 minutes. The oven window did get warm to the touch but not hot. Didn't notice anything with the stainless steel.

• HU-319651498
    6 months ago

Thanks to all you review submitters!

We're having to replace our 20-year old dual fuel 48" Thermador which since Bosch's acquisition is impossible to repair or maintain. So, dilemma: Won't pay $15k for the high- end ranges (dubious of even their reliability and support) but don't know if the Chinese knockoffs (Forno, Z-Line, . . . ) are gonna suffice. Seem to have high incidences of not everything working out-of-the-box, possible issues with termperature control, and even safety: hot stove fronts and knobs, gas leaks. Don't expect good service, or any at all after a few years, but hope they'd last 5+ years.

Also, nobody e.g. (Home Depot, Lowe's) has a floor model to look at, which we like to do when making such an investment. Anyone know where one can be seen in the Sacramento area?

Thanks. george.landsburg@gmail.com

• Jenn Ortiz
    6 months ago

Look for a Forno dealer in Sacramento

Hi George- click on the above link to go to Forno's site and search for retailers in your area. I bought mine sight unseen, and I have been very happy with it- and I use it rigorously.

• Bethany Dale Jackson
    6 months ago

Anyone having an issue with burning things in the oven?

• Lynn DeLima
    5 months ago

Have the dual fuel capriasca , love the burners hate the oven. takes forever to preheat then wont hold temp, god forbid youshould open the oven during cooking, temp drops 100 degress then takes 20 minuted or longer to regain the loss, plus isnt calibrated correctly, off by 30 degrees. reaching out to forno has not been at all helpful ugh

• Nancy Bell
    5 months ago

I just bought the french door model 30” all gas. Door finally got easier to open but only closes if you use a certain technique.

I have requested info regarding this difficult closure and received no response from FORNO attached is my Photo

• HU-319651498
    3 months ago

Hi – After reading and rereading this blog, we took the plunge and bought a Forno Galiano, dual-oven, dual-fuel, 48” range in December, Model #FFSGS6156-48.

It’s been perfect thus far; haven’t encountered any of the complaints I previously saw posted:

· Neither knobs nor stove front get hot with electric ovens and gas stove top at high level. Possibly an issue with gas ovens?

· Feet are very sturdy.

· Oven doors (vertical) open and close properly. Maybe an issue with French door models?

· Oven temperature controls are accurate.

Note: Bought from Lowes. They, and possibly all big box stores, know nothing about the product, and sold me some wrong installation stuff. Also found out they classify anything over 36” “commercial” or “professional” not qualified for their ‘free hookup.’

-George

• Amanda Hale
    3 months ago

HI Nancy Bell :) I am debating to buy this same model that you posted the video of (electric french door 30"). Did Forno still not respond to-date? Or were you able to get the door issue resolved? Apart from the door issue - do you like the way the rest of the range is operating? And do you like the way the doors open?

• Lin Borst
    2 months ago

HAVE A 36 INCH DUAL MODEL (Capriasca) on order but after reading the reviews here I am tempted to stop the order. I had a GE Cafe ordered until Home Depot delivered it and they could not hook it up because I found out it was hard wired. They said an easy job but they were not allowed to do it. So I declined it and started looking. This 36 inch Forno seemed to fit the space and half the price. It will cost another $600 to hook it up etc etc. I do not want to spend money for WOLF OR VIKING ETC. Ridiculous. SO maybe back to Cafe or.........

• Trace Gibson
    2 months ago

I have liked this unit so far. No issues as of yet and has been a year. The only things that I don't like about it is its hard to see the number on the knobs and that there is no way to tell if its on the correct setting because there is no dot to line up.. if that makes sense.

• HU-319651498
    2 months ago

I agree. I asked if they had black knobs with more visible white lettering. They do not. -George

• Lynn DeLima
    24 days ago

Months into owning the Capriasca I have named it the hateful stove. it burns baked goods while the inside remains raw. see sbove post of mine. we replaced the thermocouple which didnt help at all. Forno says we need to use convection. Im a baker i dont like convection it dries food out. we are looking for a new stove ughhhh

• Lin Borst
    24 days ago
    last modified: 24 days ago

We just received our FORNO 36 inch Capriasca . I haven't cooked too much yet because we are older and I don't cook like I used to SO far I love the burners compared to my ELECTROLUX which was in the house when we bought it. It actually simmers!! The oven confuses me. I never cooked with convection on either oven but determined to learn. The bread I baked came out perfect. The range is beautiful. My biggest con is the heavy grates- too heavy to clean with ease. The grates I wanted were on the Monogram range but started at $10,000. I looked at everything for the size we had to have. It is not self cleaning either. MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT IS GETTING A CUSTOMER SERVICE REP TO ASK A QUESTION.Where do you go??? The knobs do tend to get hot but nothing that bothers me so far. There is no convection roast just convection low bake, high bake and convection broil- ALso regular low bake. I need to experiment I guess. For the price so far so good. BTW it cost us $700 to get a company t install it. It is a custom install. What a lesson. THAT would have been the case with any range because it was dual fuel and hard wired in back. Had one delivered from home depot and I paid for installation and when they got here w the GE. they said they could not install. I told them to take it back. Same with Costco. I like this range for the price better anyway. Wish there were you tube videos for these but nothing. The banana bread came out perfect. Bake breads like that on low bake at reg settings.

• Nancy Bell
    24 days ago

I love my stove. I bought the 30” french door all gas. It’s far superior to my Costco Blue Star. My Yorkies are now amazing. I screwed up the foor at first , never close the right door first. it is truly a two handed close and a one handed open. When you look this good we forgive certain issues.

• Lake
    11 days ago

Anyone with the induction top?