SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_7b

Mislabeled Citrus

Jeff
4 years ago

I'm wondering if I bought a mislabeled plant. About two years ago I was at local nursery, a nicer one, and came across a small citrus with a tag ( one from the grower, not the store, with a picture and description) that's said Owari Satsuma. I'm a big fan of mandarins and had been meaning to buy and here was a $15 plant, no shipping necessary.
Last year it produces about 20 fruit, all just under the size of a golf ball. After they colored up I tried a few and they were the most sour citrus I've ever tried. I waited another few weeks but no improvement. I tried again this year and again, super sour.
I'm wondering if the tree was mislabeled. I'm no citrus expert but from when I've seen online a Satsuma should be similar to the store bought Clementines ( or Wegmans Stem and Leaf still on Satsumas which are awesome). I'm thinking I've gotten a Calamondin. I don't know much about them but the size and flavor seem to fit.
Would love someone else's opinion, perhaps I'm wrong and I should give the tree some more time? Any idea what you guys think this little citrus bush is? And if it is a Calamondin, any recommended uses? I've got a bunch and I'm not sure how to use them.
Thanks!

Comments (6)