SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
demarco_lockhart15

front yard landscape ideas

Demarco L
13 days ago

Can anyone give me some inspiration on what plants to put in front yard and path leading to door.

Comments (25)

• Demarco L
    Original Author
    13 days ago

It’s really a blank slate so open to any ideas

• jck910
    13 days ago

Stand on the street and take a picture of the entire house. Post it in comments

What is your location?

• Demarco L
    Original Author
    13 days ago

I’m in the central Texas area

• shirlpp
    13 days ago

Where is the front door? Please cover up your license plate when posting on the Net.

• Demarco L
    Original Author
    13 days ago

It’s on the side of the house

• partim
    13 days ago

Native plants are always a good idea. Less fussy and more likely to do well.

https://www.npsot.org/resources/native-plants/native-plants-database/

Do you know your gardening zone? Closest big city?

This link may connect you to local experts for your county. https://txmg.org/contacts/agrilife-extension

https://www.lawnstarter.com/blog/landscaping/native-plants-texas/

• houssaon
    13 days ago

Can you move that bush or small tree somwhere else? It blocks the windows. I think you need some shade tolerant ground cover. I would do lots of flowering shrubs with perennials and some annuals. Frame the walkway. An arbor over the sidewalk close to the edge of the house nead the front door would draw attention to the entry.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    13 days ago

If your Zone permits, the planting of hostas is a no maintenance accent plant. They come back every year in the spring and get larger and more beautiful

I

• TanCalGal
    13 days ago

All along the cement walk plant India Hawthorne shrubs. The blooms are white or pink (either would be nice with your home). Between the India Hawthorne shrubs and the tree in front of window spread wood chips. Keep trunk(s) of tree bare to add interest behind the shrubs.

• Jilly
    13 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Hi, there, I’m your neighbor to the north (D/FW).

My idea for that bed is a sitting area with plants. Even if not utilized much, it would still be an inviting, welcoming spot on the way to your front door.

I’d trim up that Crape Myrtle (trim off the shoots and lower branches) and find a bench or chairs you like. I don’t know your style — do you want a more lush area or minimal? Are you experienced with plants or do you want low maintenance? How much shade does this area get, and is it morning sun or afternoon sun?

I had a whole folder saved wth ideas for areas like yours, but can’t find it! Ugh. I’d like to show a bunch of examples that might inspire. I’ll keep looking.

I had an area like this at my first house and put down pavers going to the bench which sat back a little bit from the sidewalk. I had shrubs and perennials planted around it, as well as a couple of decorative glazed pots (can look good planted or empty).

These are just to show a seating area in a bed, ignore the specific plants:

If you can answer my questions, and share where in central Texas, I can give specific plant suggestions for that area as well as the narrow bed.

• Jilly
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

No on the Hosta suggestion, way too iffy in our heat/sun.

I’ve had moderate success in a bed that was in almost total shade, but it sure didn’t look like the ones posted above. And when that bed changed to get more sun (trees had to be cut down), the leaves fried by mid-summer. They didn’t come back the next year.

I’d only suggest trying them if that area gets zero sun and you’re an experienced gardener wanting to experiment. Even then, it would be a struggle and waste of money when there are so many other options.

• Paul F.
    13 days ago

• Eileen
    13 days ago

Jilly, is it worth keeping the crape myrtle? It's the focal point now and I don't know if it can be reshaped. Those thick trunks and mop head branches aren't attractive imo.

• Jilly
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Eileen, I personally would keep it because I love them and enjoy seeing mine blooming (and turning colors in the Fall) outside my windows … and the trunks can become very attractive as they age. I think, too, that the right plantings around it would integrate it much better and it’ll look more natural there.

It’s kind of at an awkward stage right now. :D

But you’re right, it really is just personal preference — the OP might feel as you do and not care for it being there. It wouldn’t be too difficult to remove, if desired.

Hopefully we get more context, I think it could be a very nice-looking bed. :)

• Demarco L
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Hilly I was definitely thinking of having a sitting area there. It is pretty shaded area and sun comes in the afternoon in this area. We don’t really have a landscape outdoor vibe. Definitely want some plants, but something for beginniners

• Demarco L
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Jilly… sorry autocorrect

• Jilly
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Demarco, there are definitely lots of easy care choices, and you could start with getting a few established and add more later on if you’d like. Or just keep it more simple.

I’d visit some local nurseries in your area and look for perennials — Salvia ‘Greggii’ are super hardy natives, as well as other types of Salvias, Lantana ’New Gold’ are very tough plants that bloom all summer long, Skullcap, Oenothera, Gaura ’Whirling Butterflies’, Mexican Heather, Esperanza, Daylily, various ornamental grasses, dwarf native shrubs like dwarf Yaupon Holly, and so many more would do well there. All of the above, and lots of others, would do fine with afternoon sun and are very drought-tolerant once established.

This is ’New Gold’ Lantana last summer (one of our hottest summers on record), from two small pots I planted a few years ago:

Once you get the seating area in, with maybe stone and paver walkways to it (if you like that idea), it won’t take many plants to fill some areas in. Add good mulch, too, of course.

If you haven’t already, search for inspiration pictures for planting in Texas (your area), and you could even take pictures to get advice at established nurseries.

I’m not sure your city, but I’m guessing I get colder winter temps than you, so you have even more options.

ETA to clarify: Those are just a few to consider, I didn’t mean use them all. The bed is not huge, so it really won’t take many plants to make a nice difference. And in the narrow sidewalk bed, you could have ornamental grasses or perennials that don’t get too wide/sprawling. You could also have a trellis with an annual vine there.

• PRO
    Arden Hills Estates
    12 days ago

Two other points first...is irrigation in? If so..the sod needs a hand. Personally I would put in clover. Softens the look of a small space. As for plants..I would include good color variations

• Demarco L
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Thanks Jilly and everyone for the advice. It’s been super helpful

• Paul F.
    12 days ago

To sell my design... you can make your way all the way around it to tend the plants. It can be done with borders and pavers from Home Depot. You'll keep all the watering at least a bit away from your foundation. You get to see birds from inside. The border all the way around echos the unusual brick detail on your house. The decorative gravel border can be reddish or green to compliment the brick. Good luck! Come back and show us what you did.

• shirlpp
    12 days ago

Consider widening the walkway to the front door. Another consideration is changing that large window and making it the front entry door.

• cecily 7A
    12 days ago

I was thinking of lantana for that area also.

Please construct a screen for your trash cans. A lattice panel from Home Depot nailed to a couple of posts will do.

• PRO
  • PRO
  • Jane Davis
    11 days ago

Wow that's so pretty!🤗