SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_883491693

The curious case of ‘Crépuscule’

I purchased this rose last winter from Loubert, France, as a bare root grafted plant.

As it began to leaf out in spring I noticed there was a distinct lack of red flushing in the young foliage and stems. The weather was mild and sunny but I started it off in a poly tunnel just in case, because we can get late frosts here and I was keen to baby it. But when the buds formed, they were pure cream with a hint of green at the base and touch of blush pink streaking. The blooms then opened a pale lemon cream colour:

I emailed these photos to Loubert, who agreed it was not Crépuscle, but couldn’t identify what it actually was. A rose friend from the UK also confirmed it was nothing like hers, with it’s distinctive red stems, sunset buds and warm apricot blooms.

I wondered if it might be a sport, but now I think it might be the right rose after all, because this year, the first bud looks very Crépuscule in colour and there is some subtle red colouration in the foliage:

I find this very curious and wondered what the wider antique rose community thinks is going on? I know Tea and Tea/Noisette roses can vary a lot, but this seems extreme!

Comments (8)