SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andgon

Have any of your roses bloomed yet?

Andrea zone 9b
last month

I’m so excited for spring! My rose garden is waking up, and I find myself checking on each rose for new growth in the evenings. I had my first bloom of the year already! Life of the Party surpised me with a pretty little yellow rose that smelled divine. I currently have buds on the following roses: Pretty in Pink Eden, Alexandra of Kent, JP2, Olivia Rose, Gertrude Jekyll, Tess of the d’Ubervilles, and one teeny tiny bud on my big bushy Zephrine D. All my other roses have lots of growth, but no buds as of yet! I’d love to hear if your garden has any blooms or buds at the moment! -I’m in Northern California Zone 9b.

Comments (182)

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    15 days ago

Wow, Andrea they are gorgeous!!! love them!!!

Andrea zone 9b thanked Echo_Texas_zone9a
  • Echo_Texas_zone9a
    15 days ago

My maiden bloom of Queen of Sweden! I am very impressed with the form, color and petal count of this first bloom. I think for all of my bare root Austins this is the most impressive first bloom for me!

• Related Discussions

Do you have any favorite single bloom roses?

Q

Comments (32)
    If you have a lot of room, you could track down a plant of the 'Trier' x 'Mutabilis' seedling 'Plaisanterie' - it's one rose that totally shows it's heritage of both parents. It's gorgeous, hardier than 'Mutabilis' and also cleaner here in Maryland in terms of disease resistance so far. Definitely more of a climber, but the flowers are exactly the coloring of 'Mutabilis', perhaps even pink/peachier and contained in the petal form of 'Trier' in that charming multiflora manner. I love it. Here is a link that might be useful: Plaisanterie on HMF
    ...See More

Laura have your JL Metallica Bloomed yet?

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi No CLue, MY JL Metallica will open in about two to three days.. I am waiting for this beauty to finally show . This morning i had to go out of town and i won't be home for a couple of days...so i will be heading to the backyard as soon AS I GET HOME. Talking of wanting to see before i left... i kept watching... but it wants to wait to finally make her debut!! I will post when i get home and show you what she looks like, Thanks for asking about this beauty!!! I am so happy that she rooted and now has something else for me!! : ) Take care, Laura
    ...See More

Have your Azaleas bloomed or leaf out yet?

Q

Comments (9)
    Well after those 3 eighty degree days, I noticed there are 2-3 pink flower buds on each plant. But these #3 plants have 75% of the stems bare...all three are the same. 25% of stems have a few leaves that are dark green with a tinge of brown. Maybe I'll give it till Tues, otherwise I'm pulling them out and taking em back. My only issue is that of the $3K I spent last year in landscaping this is the only FREAKING receipt I kind find! It was only the 3 azaelas, maybe I can bring the plants in and use a different receipt with a equal price since its @ Steins...not sure if they can tell the difference between a bare Azaela and a bare snowmound spirea.
    ...See More

It's winter (Aus) and the roses are still blooming - do I prune yet?

Q

Comments (2)
    I just asked one of your fellow Australians about her pruning practices. Fragrancenutter prunes in July and August. Here's her more detailed answer and a lot of amazing photos... http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/3729352/fragrant-roses-that-produce-abundant-perfect-cut-blooms?n=802
    ...See More
  • Melissa Kansas 5b/6a
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

It will be forever before I have blooms. Honestly it could be June. It snowed today! Thank you all for filling my rose itch.

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    15 days ago

Wow, Melissa that is wild!

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

@Echo_Texas_zone9a, your queen of Sweden is lovely🌹

@Melissa Kansas 5b/6a, in June your garden will award you with all the beautiful rose blooms for your patience

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    15 days ago

Thank you, Forever!

• Melissa Kansas 5b/6a
    15 days ago

Forever I really hope so!!!! Thank you for the encouragement!

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    15 days ago

Bolero is my first rose to bloom this year.

• rosecanadian
    15 days ago

Andrea - pink rules!! :) :) Your roses look so pretty together...must smell wonderful too with Gertie there. :)

Echo - so good to hear that QoS is a great rose for you!! Beautiful picture!!

Melissa - I feel your frustration. My roses have been in the garage for a week. They're going outside tomorrow though!! We still have some snow...but most of it is gone now. Did you get a lot of snow?

Noseometer -I didn't realize that Bolero has a green pip! Looks so cute!! :) :) And look at those gorgeous, healthy leaves!!

Andrea zone 9b thanked rosecanadian
  • forever_a_newbie_VA8
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Maiden bloom of my Bolero

Gertrude Jekyll has superior sweet fragrance

lavender crush about to bloom

• Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA
    14 days ago

A few more as they are all opening up:

ORA

Column on the right:

South Africa

Plum Perfect

Good as Gold

Row at the bottom:

EDI

Ring of Fire (newly planted)

Whole bush pictures:

Climbing Pinkie (upper left and lower right) - it took it 5 years to get established and really show what it is capable of. A delight, if only it could bloom more than one time in Spring.

After April, the trees in the surrounding area leaf out and I don't think it's getting enough sun anymore for second and third flushes.

Still adorably romantic one time in Spring.

Pink Double Knock out - a bold cool pink but I have no idea why it is not growing more, other than possible being too close to three boxwoods with whom it fights over water and nutrients. I don;t know. It looks good but has been staying small for a few years now.

ORA looking white under the strong Southern sun.

More Pinkie and EDI

Also, Belinda'a Dream and Plum Perfect in the night - I love the blooms but Belinda doesn't produce as many as I would like, and Plum has grown huge and only tends to have blooms at the top. Not exactly well covered shrub. Gere is lonly the top part with blooms.

Others that are taking their sweet time for the buds to open:

Eden (can't wait to see this one, first year with blooms)

Dee-lish

The Fairy

The Drifts (coral and sweet drift)

• sylviaww 9a,hot dry Inland SoCal
    14 days ago

The large pink is Dr. Grill. The dark pink is Darcey Bussell. The closeup is of Munstead Wood. And the orangey blend is the first Dream Come True of the year. Double centers. I’m beside myself with joy. And more to come!

• sylviaww 9a,hot dry Inland SoCal
    14 days ago

Sorry, I must correct myself. The second bloom from the top is my first General a Schablikine of the year. The third is Lavender Crush. Aroma is heavenly now, may fade with heat.

14 days ago

@SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal

Your MW is so pretty! Also much lighter than what I am getting around here.

The Dream Come True has that sunset, color-shifting look I adore in EDI and others like it.

How does it look in the landscape? Is the bloom abundant on the bush?

Just lovely!

• rosecanadian
    14 days ago

Forever - mmmm....that Bolero is a sweetheart!

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    13 days ago

@rosecanadian, thanks! It smells good too, but I had to kneel down to get a sniff😼

@sylviaww 9a,hot dry Inland SoCal, the double center is very unique and pretty

@Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA, cannot imagine you are Z7B and already have so many roses blooming already.

• Melissa Kansas 5b/6a
    13 days ago

@rosecanadian we do not get tons of snow. We get some snow here and there. The weather is unpredictable. A week or so ago, we had 3 days of 87 and this weekend a high in the low 40s. It makes growing fruit trees almost impossible and everything a challenge. Plus we always have lots of wind. At least a day or two each year of 70-80mph and 25 feels still.

• Melissa Kansas 5b/6a
    13 days ago

Artist thank you for showing the whole bush! It’s always part of my decision when ordering but harder to find than close ups of the blooms.

13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

@forever

I am surprised that they started quite early this year, but not all of them. South African for example had a very early big bloom in early April and then that was it - just buds taking their sweet time, none of which are open yet while others bushes like EDI and ORA are almost through their first flush. Very odd.

I am also excited for Beverly and Eden as they are covered in blooms, but slow.

As always EDI is the most remarkable in the landscape but I learned my lesson and will add another right next to it so I can create that mass of blooms I love so much, since each one blooms at different times, rarely do they synchronize.

@Melissa,

Little info about the bush and overall bloom habit is one of my little pet peeves with roses . I mean, let's face it, just about any freshly opened rose bloom photographed close up is going to look pretty.

The big question is what's going on with overall action on the bush.

• Melissa Kansas 5b/6a
    13 days ago

Artist— exactly! 💕

• Nollie in Spain Zone9
    13 days ago

Here’s some current overall bush action on two of mine, Melissa and Artist. Small blooms but lots of them and both nice shapely shrubs..

Marie Pavie, my best wafter. I have two pots of her either side of my front door:

Cramoisi Superieur, no fragrance to speak of but a good pop of colour in the border:

• rosecanadian
    13 days ago

Melissa - wow...that's quite the change in temperature. We get that a lot because we get Chinook winds. Lots of wind here too. Sounds like we live in the same type of weather systems. :)

Nollie - I love your Marie Pavie!! What a beauty!!

My roses are finally going to be going in/out of the garage every day. Thank goodness!!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Fighting Temeraire..7 inch fun flirty single to semi-double blossoms! They glow. Reminds me of a Mutabilis on steroids but prettier! Mine is still a baby but she will be stunning next year! I just know it lol.

Abe Darby

More Summer Romance

Bathsheba

Snoozing on the deck in the morning light lol

• Melissa Kansas 5b/6a
    13 days ago

Wow wow wow Sultry! That Fighting Temeraire!

• Alice Zone 7b
    13 days ago

My garden is starting to wake up! Here are Margaret Merrill, Golden Unicorn and two photos of Distant Drums.

13 days ago

@Alice,

Distant Drums in that sunset picture is so lovely and nostalgic. There's something magic about this rose. Very unique coloring.

I would love to have it somewhere near to look at it close up. How does it look like in the landscape? Does it wash out or it keeps its mysterious coloring? I love it!

13 days ago

In fact, I think I spent this evening falling in love with Distant Drums. Thanks, Alice! :)

It's kinda happening...and I already found myself wondering if I could find a spot for him somewhere (sounds like a "boy" to me).

I had heard of him but never stopped to examine. That shifty color and its overall subtlety ...there's just something mesmerizing about this rose.

Since my success has been mainly container based, I wonder if this rose would work in a container...

• rosecanadian
    13 days ago

Sultry - I agree. Your Fighting Temeraire looks very much like Mutablis. I love the look of it. :) Oh, you should frame that rooster photo!! WOW!! Your Summer Romance is incredible!!

Alice - WOW!!! I'm in love with your picture of Distant Drums!!! Those inner petals are to die for!!

Artist - I think that DD would be very good in a container. :)

12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Thank you, rosecanadian.

Here we go again. Now if only I could find a place to purchase it from. :)

PS:

I see it as Spring Hill Nurseries but I am not sure I could go bareroot at this point in the season...

PS1:

Ridiculous.

Aaaaaand I ordered it from Home Depot. I hope it is not too late to stick a bareroot in a pot now.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    12 days ago

@Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA Ater the garden rose Llc order fell off, I placed an order for Distant Drums at Home Depot and a few days later got an email that the item was not in stock. I probably will get it in fall from HCR or Homedepot.

• Alice Zone 7b
    12 days ago

Rosecanadian, the colors continue to change as the flower ages. This photo shows the same rose a week later as well as the dark red buds.

Most of my roses are in containers but this one is in my front flower bed and flowers all summer long. It came from Heirloom Roses.

• Alice Zone 7b
    12 days ago

I do think it is very pretty in the landscape as well.

12 days ago

@forever,

Mine said that it will be delivered in a few days. We shall see. If not, Fall is fine.

12 days ago

Very pretty, Alice! How is the bush? Does it get good bloom coverage and is it more "shrubby," or more like canes with some bloom here and there?

• Alice Zone 7b
    12 days ago

DD is shrubby and has blooms at multiple levels, primarily on the top half.

• rosecanadian
    12 days ago

Alice - it's great to have a dependable rose that's breathtaking!

• Nollie in Spain Zone9
    11 days ago

The best looking bit of the garden at present - Harlow Carr, Flamenco Rosita and Nepeta:

I’m really looking forward to these beauties opening, the bourbon Mme de Sévigné:

MdS bloom from last year, larger and more exquisite than Mme Isaac Pereire imo..

11 days ago

Nollie,

Is that pink equally cool, fuschia-bluish in reality or is the camera making it this way?

Gorgeous.

• Nollie in Spain Zone9
    11 days ago

Yes it really was that cool pink colour, Artist, but the blooms can also be deeper, brighter fuschia. Really healthy foliage and divine fragrance to boot!

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

@Nollie in Spain Zone9, your Mme de Sévigné bloom is beautiful and I love the color!

Lady in Red finally opens one bloom. Many will follow. It has a really beautiful red

Ebb Tide blooms hold well and last over a week on the branch

I had to pluck my first Bolero flower from the plant. It is too big for its poor plant size. Even after a day in the bottle it still smells wonderful

Lavender Crush already gets a lot of black spots. It and nearby Evelyn are 2 of the worse BSers (another one is Chrysler Imperial) but the blooms are pretty.

• Cam Buxton
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

Got a big one on my double delight rose in March.

• rosecanadian
    11 days ago

Nollie - oh my sweet goodness!!! Your MdS is breathtaking...and I can't wait to see your Mme de Sévigné open!!!! Beyond gorgeous!! I have a Harlow Carr that was new last year and didn't do much...I'm hoping it turns out fabulous like yours is. :) :)

Forever - I gasped when I clicked on your Lady in Red pic. There should be an acronym for that...instead of LOL...GOL. :) :) And that might be the loveliest Bolero bloom I've ever seen!

• Nollie in Spain Zone9
    10 days ago

I’m envious of your Bolero forever_a_newbie, it’s not available in Europe, sadly. It’s a mystery why several roses bred over my way are only released over your way.

I hope you wear gloves when handling Harlow Carr, rosecanadian, it’s a thorny little beast under those delicate blooms!

Not long now for Mme. de Sévigné (MdS for short). I bought it after seeing it praised on this forum but can’t remember who grew it.

My favourite rose changes all the time, but Munstead Wood is pushing for the top spot:

The Prince has a gangly growth habit which I fail to tame and rarely has perfect blooms, but who couldn’t love him?

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

@Nollie in Spain Zone9, It is wield, isn’t it? In US we cannot find rose Claude Monet which was bred in US. I hope someday Bolero will be available again in Europe for you. And your Munstead Wood is breath taking

@rosecanadian, thanks! Bolero is really a darling. It is still a baby plant (coming from HCR last month) so I hope it focusing on growing this season. It is barely a foot tall and the bloom is 4.5”!

• Heather RR (PNW 8b)
    10 days ago

Nollie, one of my neighbors has what I’m pretty sure is The Prince growing up through a small dying ash tree. He’s quite awkwardly charming with those lanky limbs and beautiful dark blooms.

After being neck to neck for weeks it seems Louis Odier and Summer Romance have tied for next place in my garden after Felicia.

Louise Odier, her pot is way too small and she’s almost defoliated at the moment from BS but packed with buds despite it and smells heavenly. She is getting repotted this weekend and should be much happier after that.

Summer Romance, already showing signs of too much sun stunting the blooms, last year I had it in afternoon shade and that helped. I‘ve since moved it back to that location and I think it will be happier once I can get it in the ground. Its not a great candidate for a pot pet, that’s for sure!

• Nollie in Spain Zone9
    10 days ago

Artist, ’Rose envy across the pond’ sounds like a great topic for a new thread! It’s especially frustrating when a rose bred in your own country/continent is only available the other side of the world.

Awkwardly charming is the perfect description of The Prince, Heather. Two gorgeous blooms you have there!

• rosecanadian
    10 days ago

Nollie - no, I don't wear gloves when I'm rosing. I need to be able to feel what I'm doing. It sure is a poky rose. :) Your roses are such beauties!!! SWOON!!! And I can see why you love MW so much!

Forever - it really wants to bloom for you!! That's a huge bloom for such a little guy.

Heather - I love your LO rose...what a color!!

10 days ago

I just wanted to mention that Home Depot shipped Distant Drums fast and furious.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    10 days ago

I also know a lot of people who had fig trees shipped from Home Depot at a good price with free shipping, that were lovely trees.

One wouldn't think buying plants online from Home Depot is a good idea but they seem to be quality plants!!

And, unlike other sellers, you can return them to the store if you don't like them!

Carla in Sac

10 days ago

I have two Home Depots close by and they sent it free shipping because it was not in store.

All plants I got from them have been stellar. In terms of roses, I only got Ring of Fire - it's a perfect plant.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville