SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bdonkersgoed

Covered Deck / Roof Structure -- Ceiling or Wall Fan Options?

Bryan
2 years ago

Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of a DIY overhaul of my backyard, which was only made possible by the extensive and generous coaching support of @Yardvaark (thanks so much!!) :-)

One part of yard that I'm paying someone else to do is a roof structure over the deck in October (and I'll be building the deck myself in the Spring). I really liked the original design, but when it went to the engineer they said that we needed to add a cross beam and kind post (i.e. the coloured pieces in the diagram below). While I preferred the open look without these added parts, there's unfortunately no way around it if I want to retain the hipped roof design, rather than a gable roof. I want the hipped roof for a couple of reasons:

• I absolutely need to run an eavestrough across the front because I'm redirecting a lot of water from other sections of roof to eliminate downspouts in a new patio area
  • My master bedroom window is directly above the roof, and hipping the roof will allow a slightly less obstructed view of the back yard

I've posted some pics of the roof design below. My current challenge is that with the new cross-beam, there's no convenient place for a ceiling fan. I could install one close to the house, but then it would be so off-centred that I don't think it would be useful (i.e. there's no point in installing one) and it would look odd. FYI, I intend to buy a larger rectangular dining table that would be centred under the roof. I believe there would only be about 7.5FT from the floor to the bottom of the cross beam. Does anyone have any recommendations? Could I install a low-profile fan on the cross-beam? Or should I consider some kind of caged wall-mount or ceiling-mount fan(s)? Or something else entirely?

VIEW FROM FRONT

VIEW FROM SIDE:

FRONT DIMENSIONS

SIDE DIMENSIONS:

Also in case it helps, here's my overall plan for the back yard and a few progress pics :)

Comments (15)