SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bardzil

Feedback regarding GE Monogram appliances?

bardzil
5 years ago

We are looking at buying a 48" dual fuel range and 48" built in fridge with custom panels (flush inset installation). I'm interested in any current feedback on GE Monogram appliances or alternatives to consider at a similar price point.

Thanks!

Comments (35)

• K R
    5 years ago
    We were between Monogram and Jenn-Air, and went with Jenn-Air after “playing” with all of them in Ferguson. We did a lot of research as well and there was a lot of good reviews, we just preferred JA. The obsidian fridge is insane!
  • Fsal
    5 years ago
    My current house that I’ve been living in for 9 years has both. Not sure how old they are, they’re from the previous owners. The range is excellent. Absolutely amazing. The fridge I hate with a passion. It’s constantly breaking, and the parts are virtually impossible to find.
  • Related Discussions

Electrolux vs GE Monogram induction cooktop

Q

Comments (4)
    Unfortunately the Elux is a "Hybrid". It has both radiant ribbon burners and Induction Hobs. When that one first came out , I saw several reviews that said the thing never worked. One of the problems with a Hybrid is if you use the radiant ribbon burners, the cooktop will get hot enough to burn stuff on, (Just like any "Conventional" Smooth Electric Cooktop) so you lose one of induction's best attributes, Ease of cleaning (or no cleaning if you cover it with paper towels as I do). Based on earlier reviews of that product, and the fact that it is a hybrid, I would "pass". Sorry to be the "bearer of bad news." WATCH OUT!!!! I found sites that do not describe it as a "Hybrid". If it is model # EW30CC55GW 30 or EW30CC55GW 36, then it is either a 30 or 36" Hybrid. Gary
    ...See More

Ge Monogram Products

Q

Comments (3)
    I love the Monogram line too. Planning on getting an induction cooktop and a single wall oven. Before changing my mind to the induction I was going to get the drop in cooktop. Did you know that one of the cooktop burners cranks out more BTU's than the range? I like the fridge to, but cannot wrap my head around the price tag for an ice box. I haven't heard too many good things about their dishwashers either, so those are off my list as well.
    ...See More

wall oven dilemma - miele, dacor, electrolux, or ge monogram

Q

Comments (30)
    fenworth, We've made the TJ cookies tons of times at home using a GE Profile oven (as stated in my original post). We also made them in a Wolf oven at a Wolf center. In both the GE and the Wolf, the cookies come out fairly "normal", even when the dough is completely defrosted (which is not recommended). We did return to Miele, used a different oven in the store, and got the same flatter-than-flat cookies, even with a TJ box that was bought 15 minutes before entering the Miele store. I can't say whether or not the grease filter was installed during cookie baking - as a newbie to the Miele oven, that's not something I would have been aware of (I kind of hope the people working at the Miele center know how to use their own ovens.) Maybe it's this particular Miele store installation, or this particular cookie dough recipe, but there's definitely something different about the way the Miele ovens we've tried bake these cookies.
    ...See More

GE Monogram appliances

Q

Comments (11)
    I have all GE Monogram except for hood. I've been living in the house for five nights now. Dishwasher is great, quiet too. I have the 36" SxS cabinet depth fridge. I was worried it going to be too small, but so far it's fine. I have the 120 Advantium. Micro is great. Very easy to use. Need to figure out the convection part. Tried to do a frozen dish in it last night, thinking it would be quicker than the wall oven, but I did something wrong, because it was still cold once I thought it was finished and took longer than if I had just stuck it in the oven to began with. LOL! Used the oven for the first time tonight. LOVE the full extension roller racks. I haven't used my gas cooktop yet, but it looks nice. LOL! Oh, I haven't used the warming drawer yet either.
    ...See More
  • worthy
    5 years ago

Be sure to check back threads here.

• Michelle misses Sophie
    5 years ago

Had a 48" built in Monogram in our previous house. Service calls for failure to cool roughly every 18 months over the 12 years we had that house. Inverter most times, main control board several times. Another service call when the dispenser decided to dispense when no one was around. Avoid Monogram refrigeration completely. Horrible fridge.

• dan1888
    5 years ago

GE is now owned by Haier. So things may be different. I'd look at current info. For a range Bluestar is an option.

• User
    5 years ago

Consumer Reports gave the best marks to Whirlpool line. GE, not so much

• ~peggynell~ Cherry
    5 years ago

Whirlpool doesn't offer built in refrigerators or dual fuel ranges, do they?

• sis33
    5 years ago

I have had a Monogram 48" dual fuel range for the last 12 years with no problems whatsoever. It still looks, and works, like new. Prior to this range I had a Monogram 30" dual fuel range that my next door neighbor bought from me and loves. My only negative comment would be that the BTUs for the burners quoted by Monogram do not apply if the gas source is propane rather than natural gas.

• User
    5 years ago

Whirlpool manufactures KitchenAid

• chisue
    5 years ago

Our GE Monogram 48" side-by-side is 17 years old and going strong. It has water/ice in the door; no problems. (We have never had problems with a dispenser, and we've the feature on every fridge we've owned since it was offered.) This fridge was 'noisy' the first six months. Nothing helped, then it just settled down. I don't think I will panel any appliance in the future. After an appliance dies, you'll have to 'build in' all over again. My dishdrawers failed after eight years. I didn't re-panel them.

When will the stainless look die? Never liked the 'working restaurant kitchen' look.

• Deana
    5 years ago

i don't have the fridge, but I do have a 48" all gas monogram range w/ the griddle. So far, this thing works perfectly and we have had 0 complaints about the range. I did months of research prior to purchasing, and we couldn't be any happier with our range.

• Debbie M
    5 years ago

goluscombe, I'm not sure where you are looking on CR, but for pro style ranges, CR gave the best marks to Monogram above all others. Granted, those were for 30" and 36" ranges, but they don't review 48".

I will say I find some fault with their comparisons though. They are comparing a dual fuel Monogram to all gas Thermador or Wolf. While I get they are probably trying to maintain a certain price point, it's also hard to compare an electric oven to a gas oven. It'd be more helpful to do an apples to apples comparison.

• Michelle misses Sophie
    5 years ago

" Our GE Monogram 48" side-by-side is 17 years old and going strong "

Your fridge was made back when GE had a commercial refrigeration outfit involved. The newer ones are made by GE themselves and are nowhere near as reliable.

• milesdog
    5 years ago

We have had our 48" range and custom panel fridge for just 4 months but so far I am happy with the choice. We find that we use the griddle all of the time. I like having the 2 different ovens either for a smaller item when I am cooking for the 2 of us or having the option of running them at 2 different temperatures when we are having company. We have the cabinet depth fridge with the fridge over freezer. We do notice the less depth in the fridge particularly in the beverage storage in the door but fortunately we put a drawer fridge in our bar area and the set up works well for us. I don't find the door storage set up as handy as in our prior fridge. I am very pleased with the aesthetics and how they fit into our kitchen.

Mercury Mosaics Craftsman Squares · More Info

Craftsman Kitchen · More Info

Hidden Pantry & Panel Ready Refrigerator · More Info

• User
    5 years ago

I'm not sure where you are looking on CR, but for pro style ranges, CR gave the best marks to Monogram above all others

Because the discussion was focused on refrigeration and you read something into my comment that wasn't there. So once again, when we get back to the statement I made in that pertinent discussion, GE does badly. Whirlpool does the best

• KBH
    5 years ago

We installed a dual fuel 48” Monogram LNP range in 2012. I’ve had no problems with it, and am very sad to be leaving it as we’re selling the house and moving to a new one. The only issue is the burners (the actual gas rings) are large - no smaller pans will work. I have to redo the new house’s kitchen and I’d buy it again, but I am also looking at induction this time.

• Albert H
    3 years ago

GE Monogram appliances haves been a disaster for us... please avoid. We bought a little over 2 years ago and just after the warranty ran out we had problems with our dishwasher, refrigerator, and range. Dishwasher began leaking and had to have service performed 3 times before it was resolved. Range stopped working on Thanksgiving morning and we couldn't use the oven. Replacement part took over 2 weeks.

• Scott Spetter
    3 years ago

We bought a luxury home in 2019. 16 years old and most of the kitchen appliances were Monogram. Fortunately, the home came with an appliance warranty.

The double wall oven was not reaching the correct temperatures, ruining meals. Warranty company was able to obtain a replacement model at wholesale.. so we got a new Monogram oven (retails for over $5,000) and spent $600 for my general contractor to modify kitchen cabinets to fit it.

In October, 2020 the oven starts falsely reporting that the doors are open (so it won’t operate) and lighting won’t go off. GE sends a repairman who decides the issue is a bad panel, so he orders a replacement.

We wait without our oven until mid January, for the replacement part to arrive and get installed.

Within a couple days, we are seeing the same issue, so we schedule another service call. 2 weeks later, tech comes to the home, tells us the issue was misdiagnosed.. It is a problem with a wire harness.. GE has published service bulletins. Of course this part is also back ordered.. so who knows how many more months we will be unable to use our oven.

Soon after that, the GE monogram built in microwave oven stopped working. Still waiting for warranty service. If it needs unavailable parts, it will be replaced .. but not with a Monogram product.

GE has the testicular fortitude (balls) to be trying to sell us an extension to the warranty for our new oven .. which they have not fixed for four months.

• khanthony
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We made that terrible and costly mistake of purchasing a GE Monogram refrigerator. We had issues with the first one starting the day it was delivered in January 2020. It was ultimately replaced after less than 6 months (June 2020). The second refrigerator had a manufacturing defect that caused a very loud noise and the freezer to not cool properly after less than 6 months (Nov 2020). It took a month to get it repaired (Dec 2020). Less than a month later the control board stopped working and both the refrigerator and freezer stopped working entirely (Jan 2021). This is a $10k refrigerator that is 7 months old. It has not been working for weeks (Feb 2021). Clearly a defective product and customer service has been terrible. I would recommend avoiding GE Appliances (now a Haier company).

• Susan Murin
    3 years ago

I have the GE Monogram fridge and 48” range and they have been pretty flawless... look and work great.

• Isabel Martom
    2 years ago

I bought a monogram stove with a griddle five years ago. worst choice i ever made. difficult to clean, the burners have started to chip…. lettering on the knobs fading. no small burners. so e pensive and frankly not worth it. their help service just tells you to suck it up or blames you for whathever flaws. advice advice, get something else

• Mia d
    2 years ago

BUYER BEWARE CHINA CRAP DONT BUY
    . I had sub zero FOR 10 year NEVER A PROBLEM !!!! I thought I would spend less in my new home. BAD DECISIÓN. I have had them for 3 years. They suck!!!! I have had the monogram repair man several times and they fix it for a while and then something breaks. Right now trying to self clean and the timer is not working.
    Buy anything else but monogram. It’s made in China for the last couple of years JUNK !!!!!!!!

• monagauthier
    2 years ago

Avoid purchasing any Monogram GE appliances. They are really cheaply made. The Fridge’s components, such as crisper drawers and shelves, all cracked and were not warranteed. All of the numbers and cooking modes on the wall oven panel, peeled off. I was told it would cost me over $2000 to replace the panel. I argued that this was obviously a defect as any appliance should not have the temperature control numbers or baking/cooking control letters flake off. I argued in vain, therefore I would stay clear of any of GE products.

• HU-700280439
    2 years ago

I purchased a 48 inch side-by-side built-in GE monogram refrigerator, convection microwave, oven, dishwasher, and five burner induction cooktop. All have been extremely disappointing. I did not want the water/ice dispenser in my refrigerator door. Upon delivery, I immediately noticed that when I open the door to get ice from the ice bin, the ice would fall behind the bin and then drop out and scatter all over my kitchen floor. When I called GE to ask for a remedy, I was told that it wasn’t designed to be used without the dispenser!??? I asked “then why do you sell a version without the dispenser?” and was told “we really should not sell this model.” The microwave takes much longer to heat food than my previous KitchenAid convection microwave. The biggest disappointment has been the dishwasher. It clogs with food residue and grease very quickly and must be disassembled and cleaned after every second use. My previous appliances were all KitchenAid and or far superior four less money.

• Kathi Browne
    last year

I just bought the whole Monogram line of appliances and regret it. The fridge & freezer came with dented and scratched stainless steel fronts, and the door seal and handle were missing for the freezer. The freezer frosted over immediately which the installers said was not due to installation and we needed to order a service call. Several weeks later, the new stainless steel fronts came in and were both dented and scratched in the box (again!). We're still waiting on the missing parts to stop the freezer door alarm from being triggered indefinitely. The dishwasher is another disappointment. The wheels keep falling off. The bottom rack bottom is also too far apart on the back half so most of my dishes fall too low and stop the spinner. So frustrating. The range hasn't disappointed me yet but I'm holding my breath. Our hood insert took 8 months to come in so I haven't installed it yet. DON'T BUY GE MONOGRAM ANYTHING..

• T & M T.
    last year

DON'T DO IT!!! DON'T BUY THIS!!!! They do NOT provide service!!! Our $14,000 Monarch has had a crooked door, a bad gasket and now the door makes a very loud clicking sound every time we open the refrigerator. We tried to get service each time, but no one seems to know what they are doing. WE went to the manufacturer but they were useless regarding getting resolution for us. Now we have waited 3 weeks for this newest "Door" repair. One missed appointment after another. We have wasted 3 days now waiting for the service tech who never showed up. No phone calls - nothing!!! I am DISGUSTED with the UNIT AND BATTEN APPLIANCE!!!!! Thank Heaven my husband has been able to fix these issues because the manufacturer and the service techs HAVE NOT!!!

• HU-480810696
    last year

DO NOT spend money on Monogram. We bought a matching refrigerator freezer built in units. from day one, freezer ice maker does not work and not repairable, replacements freezer? SAME issue from day one. They only replace over and over again. They will consider refunding on the freezer only if 3rd replacement does not work also but not the matching refirgerator. Thats like refunding a defective left shoe but not the right. For a "high end" product, monogram is cheaply made and does not care about the customer.

• Jessica Homann
    11 months ago

I know this is an old post but I feel compelled to spread the word. In 2018, we bought a GE Monogram range (and received a "free" dishwasher with it). By 2020, the thermostat had to be replaced in the oven and by 2021, the motor in the dishwasher; now, here we are in 2023 and the oven will not heat again. I have had inexpensive appliances my whole life that were FAR more reliable than Monogram. Never ever again will I purchase anything from this "luxury" brand.

• Sharyn Howell
    8 months ago

Bought GE Monogram wine sommelier, panel refrigerator and freezer in July 2022. Were installed in March 2023. Doors had bows so didnt fit & panels damaged. New doors and panels arrived but no GE installers to do job. wine sommelier icemaker never worked and waiting to be replaced. 6 months after installation and we have uselesss appliances. Do not buy!

• Marta Webb
    7 months ago

Do not buy! We are 7 years in and are on round 4 of repairs and several thousands of dollars worth of food in the the trash. The freezer won‘t defrost, the fridge doesnt work, the lights in the fridge are completely out. For a 10K Appliance you may get 3 years out of this at best.

• jackieisola
    7 months ago

What to buy? Had Thermidor a fortune , their electronics are a nightmare, the technicians weren’t qualified. Lg washer and dryer. The washer lasted 14 years the salesman was surprised. Dryer still going. Bought LG again. Waited a year for a Bosch dishwasher, so far so good. I need new stove and wall oven . Thermidor wall over useless, the electronic, still look brand new. I like the professional stoves, but I think now all junk. Had many lemons over 50 years

• jackieisola
    7 months ago

Any suggestions on quality stoves. Gas

• Lauren Grenier
    5 months ago

Hi team,

I have to share my very unfortunate experience with a brand new GE Monogram appliances and the customer service. The communication to their technicians - and the technicians themselves - have been brutal.

An installment in our new kitchen in April 2023, it was only by mid- October I turned the oven on self clean mode for the top, then the bottom that the oven then completely turned off. Never worked again after switching breakers on, nothing. The lower oven is still locked and won’t open.

Since that day, we have had three cancellations - pushed out weeks at a time, phone calls with GE reps with misinformation about parts being ordered and when the tech shows up they say those are the wrong parts. Then parts not being ordered at all for the job the day the appointment comes. Technicians cancelling day of around 3:30PM EST TWICE on separate days. A cancellation for an on-site cancelled day of because it’s a two tech job and one tech doesn’t show up. And still no parts ordered in the system and another date pushed out to Dec 7th.

I am so confused on the communication that GE has in place to make this an easier process. The name and brand of GE I thought carried weight and I’ve never purchased them before, and I can confidently say I never will again.

I thought when we over purchased this luxury line item we would be getting white glove service and experience.

Gwyneth Paltrow better take a good look at her contract and rip that up ASAP. It’s all false advertising, I was having a great time until now. I couldn’t be more disappointed and all I want to do is be cooking in my kitchen and having my family over these holiday seasons, and I can’t. GE Monogram has taken those first memories away from me and my family. I have the monogram microwave and range (which also had problems recently too with the gas flicker going off while not on!).

• Susan Murphy
    13 days ago

Don’t do it! Most disappointing loud refrigerator ever.