SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gdionelli

furniture for aging in place

gdionelli
13 days ago

My spouse and I have built a retirement house in another state for aging in place and now are about to start the process of furnishing it. This summer we will be traveling there for a few days at a time and have to make the most of those days in order to get our furniture purchased and delivered.

I have many questions, partly because I haven't furniture-shopped in decades.

First of all, beds: We plan to have under-bed motion-sensing light strips, so the bed cannot go all the way down to the floor. Platform beds seem to be the trend right now, and yet they seem rather low because there's only a mattress, not mattress + box springs (as in my day!) Is it possible to get taller mattresses, or to put a box spring on a platform bed? We know the height we want to have. Or are there beds with space underneath that are not platform beds? And do you purchase the mattress with the bed at most furniture stores, or purchase them separately?

Second: sofas and chairs. We know that 20" is a recommended height for sitting furniture for older people. And that we want things to be on the firm side. Also that there should be sturdy armrests to help us get out of the furniture. Are there any other considerations we're missing? We're debating recliners. Currently we have one recliner with a manually-operated lever to open and close it, and one that is electric. The manual one will probably become more difficult to operate as we get older, and we don't want to be tripping on a cord for the electric type. Is there an easy-operate non-corded recliner brand?

Finally, any thoughts about ordering furniture online rather than shopping at a local store? I like purchasing local, and the idea that it will be delivered and set up for us. But so far in perusing the websites of the local furniture stores I haven't seen many things that will work for us (although some stores can probably order for us).

I'd love to learn the experiences of anyone who has gone through this.

Comments (12)