SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neekatave

Kikuyu grass - am I crazy?

neekatave
17 years ago

When I bought my house the backyard was mostly dirt and weeds, but with lots of other more pressing projects to deal with, I didn't do anything about it. Except re-configure the sprinklers to get better coverage. Since then, the yard has filled in with a kind of miracle turf that the dogs don't dig up or spot with their urine, that withstands all kinds of traffic and abuse, and that grows thick and lush at an almost visible rate in the spring and summer with no care (i.e. fertilizer, aeration, etc) whatsoever, except frequent passes with a reel mower. I've since positively identified this stuff as Kikuyu. Much to my embarrassment, I've learned that I'm supposed to detest it. Is there a support group for people like me who actually want to encourage this noxious weed? Am I in violation of some agricultural ordinance? Is this grass going to creep through cracks in my foundation and strangle me in my sleep?

If not, I really think this is the perfect grass for me, and I'd be interested in knowing what, if anything, I should do to help it spread into the remaining bald patches back there. Not that it's having much trouble doing that by itself. Which is the whole point.

By the way, the grass area is bounded by block or stone all around with fairly deep concrete footers. There's one area behind a low stucco wall that I want to plant with something else, and my only concern is that the Kikuyu will figure out away to climb over or under the wall. Otherwise, it's pretty well contained.

Clearly, I need help.

Comments (8)