SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_168393914

Design Help for Old House Window Bank

Lynette Robinson
14 days ago

Hello, we are finally ready to replace our 1982 wood framed windows and it is a big decision. This is the southern exposure on the upper level and none of these windows open except one, so we would like to improve the ventilation. We would like to keep the design the same across the second story. We do not want awning or casement as those crank mechanisms seem to fail a lot.

My husband wants one large picture window per opening, but I think that would look too stark.

What do you think of the following options?

1) Combination of transom slider on top under the eaves over a picture window. The eaves protrude quite far for passive solar, so prevent rain entering. This will work fine in the first photo where the windows are larger, but on the other side I think the bottom frame of the transom will be at eye level.

2) Two double hung per opening. But that will be a lot of windows

3) Three double hung per opening. Or two double hung with a picture window in the center.

4) Repeat the existing design with modern black frames. But the interior is all pine so maybe not?

We are going to go a bit lighter than the dark brown when we replace the siding which is also wood.

Can you recommend a good design tool, the window companies design tools aren't great for combination windows.

Thanks!

Comment (1)