SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_858647138

The last big sowing of the season

rosaprimula
13 days ago

Mayday has been my calendar date for the final seed sowing of the summer season. Apart from the vegetables (curcubits, beans, saladings and such), I do a frantic last minute sowing of flowers. Used to be to fill any gaps in my customers gardens but I am basically down to my last coupla regulars so don't really need to sow so many. Also, my offspring are all doing their own this year but the habit of sowing fast summer annuals is a hard one to get over so I am more or less carrying on as usual. Planning a large cutting bed at my allotment, so my final list contains china asters, tithonias, salvia coccinea, zinnias, salvia horminium, flax, helipterum, helichrysum, phlox, gypsophila, calendulas, malope, cladrastis, arctotis, dimorpotheca, tagetes.cobaens...the usual sorts of things. Plus the biennials. Always a frantic juggling for space, trying to get as many modules done before the tomatoes demand all the spare greenhouse space. A madly busy time of year before seed sowing stops until September...when the season starts over with the hardy annuals and bulbs. The hardy perennials and woodies are a much more leisurely affair, stretching through most of the winter. Greenhouse clear-up starts this week as all last years stuff gets turfed out in readiness for this last big push. How is everyone else getting along with plant raising?

Comments (15)